Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** July/August 2013 Challenge: Steampunk ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** July/August 2013 Challenge: Steampunk ***

This month's challenge is theme-oriented: Come up with a map relating in some way to the steampunk genre. That's it; no special qualifications. Continuing on from last month, it could be alternate history related, but that's not necessary; you could easily do a non-Earth steampunk fantasy.

Some ideas to get the creative batteries going:
    -deck plans for a steampunk airship
    -a map showing travel routes for Her Imperial Majesty's Aerospace Corporation
    -a political map showing different alliances (within a steampunk context)

Title each new thread July/August Lite Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the 13th of August, and the winner will receive a SILVER COMPASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Great theme! Hope to see some nice entries!

I have never tried this style, but I think I will take a stab at it! More than anything, I need to get some maps made
    "Not all those who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- My blog
    -Last Apocalypse Forge-

Sweet, I want to do some Steampunk myself but I never seem to get around to it and I can't do these challenges anymore. I'm going to go check out the entries now and cheer
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Not much love for this theme, I guess... Hopefully next month's will draw more interest.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Kinda sad since it was a very interesting theme that I would have liked to map

You can still join in; got about two weeks left!

Guild Applicant

I've been working on an element with the Steampunk theme, but not a submission to the challenge. It is really interesting to see all the different variants in Steampunk.

Straight age-of-steam is technology (and society, etc) as per Earthly history. So that's not distinctively steamPUNK, wherein one has out-of-sequence development beyond Earth's (Europe's) Victorian norm. Say, steam powered.... spaceflight. Railways... across seafloors. Brass-and-copper... submarines. Napoleonic warfare... with clockwork tanks and steam-powered dirigibles dropping napalm. Oh, excuse me- greek fire. Mad scientists' labs... powered by lightning accumulators. So it's the incongruous elements that punk the whole.

Maps of such a situation could look like medieval hand-drawn artwork to A-Z standard modern highway maps... not much do do with the map technology or the state of society shows on the map style. Phooey - I bet that has cramped potential entrants' imagination.

But if the map has enough additional material to tell a story, and that story has aetheric rayguns, gold-plated imperial railway locomotives, zeppelins behind every cloud, and brass goggles pushed up to foreheads under bowler hats atop clockwork golems... that could be acceptably steampunk. Stereotypically alternate Victorian realms belong on Victorian aesthetic maps... which implies such rococo complexity, engraved-curlicue detailing, and all around copperplate vibe that once again the task is appealing but daunting. Ain't nobody got time for that. Well, not me; not this month. :-(

So I would have to sell a simple style, that by its *subject* yells (whispers?) "steampunk" clearly enough to match the contest specs. Oh-kaaaaaaay. Storytelling here I come.

Just a reminder, this month's challenge will be ending tomorrow evening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast