Thread: The Imperial Pass

Guild Apprentice Revivalofhonor's Avatar

Wip The Imperial Pass

Alright, well it's been a loooong time since I posted here O.o; But I've recently been working on a few maps requested by a friend and thought I post what I've got currently and see what you guys think.

I was going for a style that is very different from what I normally do, but I was trying to go for almost a "hand-painted" kind of look, yet make it sharp and crisp enough to be easily readable. Like I said its still a work in progress and is missing a scale, legend, better north arrow and just needs to be touched up in general, but please! give me opinions

EDIT: The scale of this map is very hard to guess at, but the pass portrayed is nearly 300 miles long and the site of numerous conflicts as it rests on the border of two warring nations. The Symbols are currently representing outposts or strongholds of one side or the other. The long boxed line things are walls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperial-Pass-Web.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	530.4 KB 
ID:	5259  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

It's clean enough alright, but my first thought was if this pass is between two warring nations, why are the symbols of what I'm guessing to be one nation (the triangle-in-circle) surrounded on both sides by the symbols of the other nation (curved-top-point-down)? This makes it seem to me like the latter nation controls either side of the pass, and the former nation holds only these last few strongholds inside the pass...

You've got it exactly right One nation controls both sides of the pass while the other holds the center and is resupplied through the small pass to the west.

That Northwest Pass(age) looks like a wonderful place for an iron path( Via Ferrata). I've been wanting to use one of those ever since seeing a video of someone walking on an old, crumbling member of the genus.
    Fun video.

Thats exactly how I pictured it! a very deep pass with the river taking up most of the ground, thus a very treacherous path had to be cut/created among the cliffs.

Awesome Vid thanks!

Blog Entries

Welcome back & awesome vid su-liam. Never seen anything like that before...

Quote Originally Posted by Revivalofhonor View Post
    You've got it exactly right One nation controls both sides of the pass while the other holds the center and is resupplied through the small pass to the west.
    ah...okay. I initially thought it strange one nation held both sides of the pass rather than on nation each side with the middle of the pass a no-man's land. I did consider the narrow pass, but thought it too narrow to support a trade or supply network.

That vid reminds me of something out of Myst--something that looks recently constructed but somehow aged and deteriorated at the same time and when other people aren't around eerie and beautiful at once.

I knew there was something eerily familiar about it, and I think you've hit it right on: Myst. I also have no speakers on the computer I viewed it on, so that reinforced the feeling I was getting.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I knew there was something eerily familiar about it, and I think you've hit it right on: Myst. I also have no speakers on the computer I viewed it on, so that reinforced the feeling I was getting.
    It's mostly just background music... which besides the ambient sounds is all you get on myst, too... albeit a different variety.

On a tangential note... I tried to get myst to load on my computer. Turns out... it's not so easy for these newfangled things to run a game from so far back