Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Harenova -- Learning Cartography From Scratch! ADVENTURE! Come and Help!

Figured I'd try my hand at making an emblem... All photoshop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sigil.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	56428

Name:	hare.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	56452

This is a test... Test... Test. Check. Check. 1... 2... 3... AAHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I find it difficult to visualize my world as a "disc", but I like the circular theme. I just need to... understand the scale I'm working with. I just need to work on the composition. The devil's in the details. The devil's in the details. The devil's in the details. The devil's in the details. -mantra-

P.S. -- I have found great inspiration in this illustration.
    Last edited by Vagabondage; 07-27-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Your symbole is nice, what is it supposed to represent ?

the last illustration was very odd

@Azelor - It's a herald (or possibly a religious symbol) for a race of fantasy people referred to as the Hive. They are bug-like parasites that abduct minds and identities by merging their brainstem with that of a human or other sentient creature. They are the most influential race of Harenova who are viewed by the majority as relentless gods in control of existence. The triangle is a symbol of perfect balance and power. A hive "host" supports the walls that would otherwise fall. At its head is a honeycomb to represent the pinnacle of wealth, prosperity, and enlightenment the Hive brought the world. It also represents eternity as honey never goes bad...!! Teehee. The symbol is drawn with nothing but circles and straight lines (hence the underlying sketch) to emphasize their love of math and the intellect.

Out-of-context, they're a neutral force hell-bent on world domination through body-snatching.

EDIT: Ah. I found a two year old drawing of what they look like. Their appearance has changed a little but this is overall their general concept. Their brainstems are essentially a needle-like tentacle that in the larval state pierces a creature's flesh and forces itself around the cervical vertebrae and through the foramen magnum. Faint-inducing migraines are typical for the newly abducted.

Name:	hive.JPG 
Views:	429 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	56460
    Last edited by Vagabondage; 07-28-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Great symbol, and nice looking map so far. Love the colors.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Disturbing! I like the Hive idea; you don't often see a fantasy setting merged with body horror/alien abduction elements. Very cool 'blueprinty' symbol too.

I love a lot of the ideas here. Big fan of a desert type area, and especially find your scifi elements interesting. Your dedication to reference and resources is awesome! I'm much the same way. The details that people don't see are just as important was what they do!
    Last edited by Failtality; 07-28-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Good morning! Let me rub the sleep out of my eyes and we'll get down to business...

I was SOOOOOO sad the server was being cantankerous yesterday. I got a lot of work done, but didn't want to do much more until I posted here.

Name:	harenova_rivers.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	240.4 KB 
ID:	56488

Expanded the map (the original image is about 7500 px by 6500 px) to make a more detailed coastline. Adding new islands and the fiddly bits on the land's edge has helped me see what I've done so far as an entire planet.

I didn't do much research when drawing out the rivers other than looking at river maps of Africa and Asia and reading that they start around hills/mountains where there is rainfall and generally wetter areas and seek the shortest path to the sea. I think I read somewhere they wind less in dryer areas...? To keep the world aesthetically balanced, I put a few more mountains and areas of higher elevation as the source and guide for some rivers. Kala'Nea is on a river that I gather is similar to the Nile in Egypt. I will most likely add more branches to the rivers and create more bays.

Name:	harenova_territory_titles.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	56489

Drew out general territories using rivers as initial guides.

Everything is thus far insanely clean. The style will emerge when I reach a point when I am comfortable enough to begin work on details. I'm using that image from my second to last post of a 19th century map of a "square and stationary earth" as my main inspiration. I was thinking of making something interactive so that it could be viewed in a circle properly.

Eh. That's far in the future. I'll just fantasize.

Knowing that the Hive is fairly technologically advanced and well-prepared with a military, I think I should probably plop a few more "kingdoms/empires/whatevers" around the land n stuff. Today I'm going to go on an expedition for the perfect font(s). I anticipate none will tickle my fancy and that I'll resort to my own calligraphy. I love illuminated manuscripts so I'll most likely try to emulate that with whatever I choose.

Thanks for all your nice comments, everybody!
    Last edited by Vagabondage; 07-30-2013 at 10:11 AM.

No, the wind depend on dominant winds wich depend on the difference of pressure from high to low. My most trusted source of information : The Climate Cookbook
    Tip: bookmark it

As for the rivers, there is something that bothers me. They should take the shortest path like you said but at some places they are pretty curvy. Like the one near Malaka. Also, there are 2 rivers near Elysium that nearly touch each other but are in different hydrographic basin. I'm not sure it's ok. It is, if there is a wall of mountain or a big difference in elevation.

There are some mountains in Malaka and Elysium, I just removed the sketches of the mountains to make it look more clean.

EDIT: Playing around in Photoshop trying to come up with some grandiose calligraphic capitals for the map title and place names... I need to make it look more... desert-ish... I want to stick with the geometric style in the emblem above so right now things might look shaky as I lay down basic sketches... ehhh.

Name:	caligraphy.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	56501
    Last edited by Vagabondage; 07-30-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast