Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Harenova -- Learning Cartography From Scratch! ADVENTURE! Come and Help!

Twas a joke. -cracks knuckles- These hands were made for the tedium of drawing redundant lines.

I tried using a directional comb brush but no matter how much I fiddled with the settings it did not look right. I'm just doing it THE TRADITIONAL WAY.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eh.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	56853

Scroll is a placeholder... Thinking about what the building, landform, foliage, and ship icons should look like... eh... this is why I started with the ocean.
    Last edited by Vagabondage; 08-13-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Well good then. My hat's off to you. It looks very nice now.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Oh dear. This might take a while... but progress is progress!

Name:	eh.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	56901

I messed up a few times, but eventually figured out a way to make it look all nice n stuff.

Applied a little mask to make it look textured/aged just to test. Looks pretty badass, imo.

Thicker lines look better so I'm going to have to go over the thinner ones once more... at least in some areas.

Oh... and made a little doodle of the colony fort for scale. I am anticipating drawing those along with landforms, foliage, and such will be even more of a pain in the butt (but at least it'll be less repetitive...?)

ONWAAAAAAAAAARD~!

EDIT: I think I might just update this post with further WIPs until I move on to something that isn't water since I can't imagine it's very exciting to see more than once...
    Last edited by Vagabondage; 08-15-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Looking great so far. Love the direction in which you're going

This map is going to be amazing, even if just because of those Fra Mauro oceans. About time someone tackled that particular style.

If anyone's been wondering where I've gone off to... I'm really sick. I just got some medication a few days ago to help cope with symptoms and it's been kicking me in the teeth as I try to get used to it. I haven't had much energy or motivation to work on the map but when I feel better I will get back to it.

I'm almost halfway done with the oceans (I've really only done two days worth of work since the last update). After that, I'll try to emulate the Fra Mauro mountains and landforms. They look to be drawn/painted with ink washes and I have a few ink brushes that will work perfectly. After that, I'll do some research on castles and fortresses to draw "icons" of cities and villages. Then boats and ships. Then sea monsters and animals. Yadda, yadda. Long list.

Till then...
    Last edited by Vagabondage; 08-25-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Get well soon and come back with more awesome updates.

Well... I was right when I said this would take a while. Because of a tightly packed schedule, progress has been delayed and I still have a little bit more to go on the water. But looking at it now, I'm happy I've spent this much time on it. Right now, it's become a monotonous endurance test so I think I'll take a short break from this to draw something else. I'll get back to it as soon as I relieve my desire to work on a new drawing.

Name:	working.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	950.2 KB 
ID:	57461

It looks great so far, one thing tho. On the center vertical fold line the top(At the water's edge) isn't quite lined up.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Any more progress on this? Waiting impatiently...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456