Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Civilized World and Known Parts of the Wild

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

As far as the text goes, I think the bottom one is my favorite.

I like the idea of fading the map into parchment/etc at the edges. I'm more partial to sepias and tans myself, but grey might work too as long as it's not too dark. For the cartouche, blue colors seem like they'd work well; you could do some purplish-red shadows on the folds of cloth to give it more color and depth, and that might not overwhelm the map as much as only reds would...

Oh, and the map is looking awesome.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks, Diamond! Blue and purple together is a very good idea! And I have the same label favorite as you.

The client I did the commission for just asked me for a second map, so I'll be taking another break here But one more update first. I colored the water, tinted the coasts and riverbanks yellow to increase the contrast there, and toned the mountains a bit more green. Also experimented some more with the text, lowering the opacity of it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KändaVärlden6.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	56637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Texttest2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	56638

Great work Lingon! Again, I love that cartouche. My only advice would be to try to make the mountain tops look like they have less vegetation on them as they look a little green. I don't know how much work that might be for you though.

This is very pretty so far, Lingon. Is the commission piece also hand painted?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

@Viking: Thank you! Glad to hear you like the cartouche, it was a bit of an impulse Good point about the mountains, and it wouldn't be so hard to fix; some highlights with light grey acrylic paint would do it. I think I'll wait until the forests are done though, as that could give enough contrast between the vegetation and the mountains.

@Chashio: Thanks! The commission is also hand-painted. The first one is here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...map-novel.html. The second will be in the same style, and I'll probably get permission to post that one as well

Side project done (http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...ommission.html), so back to this

I've been practicing pine forests. This one, heavily influenced by Torstan's beautiful forests, is the best I came up with, I think. Shouldn't take more than… three, four years to cover the map in it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skogstest.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	56779

I love it. I wish I had the aptitude to draw so that I could do isometric stuff like this!

Your forest look really good Lingon but they really take that long to make ?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Your forest look really good Lingon but they really take that long to make ?
    Trees can take a long time to draw. And paint, with multiple coats and waiting for things to dry. Longer if they're at a rough scale relative to the mountains... 11x14 inch paper... terribly tiny trees.

Lingon, I'm curious what's your technique for the forest test... would you mind sharing?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Looking really nice man, keep up the good work!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast