Thread: Lingon takes baby steps in digital mapping

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Default Lingon takes baby steps in digital mapping

I've been messing around in Photoshop the past two days or so, trying to get a little better at it. Began by following http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...photoshop.html, and did some experimenting here and there to make it a little more personal. Still plenty to add before it's close to done, but it looks like I'll be a little bit swamped with work for a week or two now so I wanted to post it up while I still have some steam in it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antik-test.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	57478

Planning to make hand-drawn mountains, and maybe redraw the rivers somehow as I don't like the way they look 100% (not the turorial's fault though, completely my own because I'm crappy at drawing digitally). I should probably tweak the aging effect around the edges too… Any suggestions, criticisms or angry "you're doing it wrong!"-shouts are welcome

You are doing it wrong! Where are the fluffy bunnies?

No, actually, it looks quite good as it is. Nice coastline, and the coastal water effect is well done. Your rivers are not bad at all... perhaps they are a little too ... similar.

The only thing that looks a little weird is the coloration / age effect. Just now, it looks more than an old TV screenshot than an aged map.

Good luck with your work, and I hope you will be back to this map soon.
    Last edited by Freodin; 09-06-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

I agree with Freodin. More fluffy bunnies. And pink unicorns.

You're doing a great job so far, though I also find the aging effect a bit odd, too.

Lol, old TV screenshot… It actually looks like that Thanks for the comments.

Here's a small update. I didn't delete the rivers permanently, just hid the layer, but I'll probably redo them. Mountains first, though!

Name:	Antik-test 2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	57543

Another small update:

Name:	Antik-test 3.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	57546

First time I tried clone-stamped mountains. I drew them with ink and scanned, so I guess it's not a purely digital map anymore… Anyway, not sure if it's perfect yet, something about the arrangement of the mountains bothers me. Maybe I should push them together more, to make denser ranges?