Thread: The Civilized World and Known Parts of the Wild

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Wip The Civilized World and Known Parts of the Wild

I've hit a bit of a roadblock in the steampunk map I started a little while ago (one could even say I lost steam), so I've started a new wip. This one is for a story I'm writing; first I didn't think I would need a map as it is set in a rather small area, but it grew quite a lot while writing and I'm beginning to feel the need for some organization of the locations. It's an alternate history story that takes place on the Kola peninsula, so I took a screenshot of a section of it from Google Maps, outlined the coast and rivers, printed, and transferred it to aquarelle paper with an improvised light box. Then I looked where the mountains are, and drew in the ranges (returning to the style I used in my first map, after some experimental maps of varying success…). I began inking too, but then I decided some opinions might be good before I make something irreversible.

So, here's what I have so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KändaVärlden1.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	56231

I'm planning to cover most of the map with forest, and I want it to look really dark and dense and vast. But maybe it's too crowded with rivers and lakes for that? Maybe I should remove some of them. And the mountains, are they big enough? Thinking of increasing their size to make them look more intimidating, but I don't want them to be too out-of-scale either…

Well, those are my main concerns, and the rest should come later
    Last edited by Lingon; 07-21-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Changed the post icon to "WIP"