Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone who knows about VTT explain how to convert paper maps?

Guild Novice

I do a lot of gaming using the Roll20 Virtual Tabletop. What I have found when making battle maps for use there is that 105px/sq is the best resolution. At 100% zoom, the table is 70 px/sq, but it gives you the ability to zoom in to 150%. If you want your map to not look fuzzy at that resolutions, make it 105 px/sq. You should also make your image dimensions (including any border) some multiple of your resolution per square. This makes getting the maps set up appropriately much easier. I would also recommend leaving off the grid; most VTT will render their own grid. This allows the user to decide to use hexes instead of squares if desired (or vise versa).

Blog Entries

Bit late here but since I write one VTT for pure info, ViewingDale does not use a specific pixels per square. You can use any size you like. Also, well at least for my VTT, its better if you use one square icon for the floor and then make many instances of it all over the floor area then put on the tables and chairs instead of taking a static bitmap and breaking it up into squares and then having each one as a separate bitmap icon. If you reuse the floor icons and reuse the tables then it would be very small.

Roll20 defaults to 70px a square but that is GM configurable. That said, I like the maps and would like to see them in the Roll20 Marketplace.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12