Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK administrative map, 1947

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    The numbers on the map are a little small - one or two points more for the font would be helpful for poor old eyes like mine.

The rest of the map though.... superb is the correct term!
    'Fraid I can't make them much bigger. Crowded metropolitan areas like the Black Country or West Yorkshire make it impossible, lest I'll have to resort to using lines. Since the map isn't in vector, that means I can't make it larger than it is either.

Incidentally, I've almost finished the map by now. All of the islands except the Shetlands and most of the Orkneys have been completed, and the key is done for England and Wales.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uk-base-0.4.png 
Views:	1095 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	59267

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thorf's Avatar

Very nice.

If I could make a few suggestions... First, why not place Orkney and Shetland where they actually lie? Coming from Orkney, I am obviously biased about this, but it always seems a shame to move them out of context.

The positioning of countries within the key is a little confusing. It might make more sense to list Scotland at the top, then Northern Ireland, then England and Wales at the bottom, putting the labels much closer to their numbers.

For similar reasons, the London inset might be better placed in the bottom right, closer to its actual location on the map.

Lastly, you could solve some of the tiny number readability problem by placing the numbers beside the areas they apply to. This would also help prevent them from obscuring the borders on the map.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorf View Post
    Very nice.

If I could make a few suggestions... First, why not place Orkney and Shetland where they actually lie? Coming from Orkney, I am obviously biased about this, but it always seems a shame to move them out of context.
    Well, the reason for that is somewhat simple: I wanted to conserve space. However, I later needed some extra space to expand the key, so I decided to put Orkney where it should be (it's right off the coast anyway, so it doesn't really change much) while still leaving Shetland in an inset because of its somewhat remote location.

The positioning of countries within the key is a little confusing. It might make more sense to list Scotland at the top, then Northern Ireland, then England and Wales at the bottom, putting the labels much closer to their numbers.

For similar reasons, the London inset might be better placed in the bottom right, closer to its actual location on the map.
    Changing the entire index around would, I think, be too much of a hassle (it was already difficult enough moving them around to get them all to fit in the boxes), but I suppose I might do that in the future. I did change the London inset though, and it does indeed look a bit better there, as well as provide a more even-looking index.

Lastly, you could solve some of the tiny number readability problem by placing the numbers beside the areas they apply to. This would also help prevent them from obscuring the borders on the map.

Keep up the good work!
    I decided to do that, and also up the size of the numbers while I was at it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uk-base-1.0.png 
Views:	1676 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	67222

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12