Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings

Guild Novice

Post Greetings

Hi,

I am downloading CC3 as I type this. I also have Illustrator & Photoshop (CS3). I am a usability speicalist, and use illustrator to make flows of mobile phone interfaces. But, I'm pretty limited as far as what I can do at this point.

I am also a first time DM. I replicated the dungeons from the DM Guide using Illustrator for my first D&D session but they looked so awful I wanted to find out how to get better map making skills. So, I found this place. I look forward to sharing my attempts with you all and learning from yours.

Looking at fantasy maps does something to me that I can't explain. They fill me with wonder at the possibilities of what they contain. I'm very particular about what I think looks good - and I'm very concerned I won't be able to create it for myself. But, I'm going to give it a try.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Have no fear. Creating good-looking maps is something that can be learned. I am by no means a master, but the difference in quality between my first map and my most recent ones is tremendous, and most of that improvement has been thanks to the tutorials and advice available here.

So post up your works in progress (WIP) as soon as you can--the earlier other people start looking at them, the faster they'll improve.

Welcome to the Guild, and enjoy your time with us!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Welcome to the Guild Knuckles_VI!!! i am sure you will do fine. There are many tutorials on the site here for Photoshop (the most), some for CC3, and a few for Illustrator. Feel free to post up your works in progress and we will be happy to help point you in the right direction to polish things up. I would be interested in seeing your take on the DMG dungeon, even if you don't like it.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome Aboard. Making copies of the DM Guide is simple, and while they won't look identical, if you follow the Tutorial Links under my Profile you will see how to make some really cool maps in CC3/DD3.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome. I know exactly how you feel about looking at maps. I mostly like making continents and once I have one done I start thinking about where stuff goes and what the people are doing. Actually putting all of that stuff IN is something I'm now learning as well. Enjoy the ride.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Have no fear. Creating good-looking maps is something that can be learned. I am by no means a master, but the difference in quality between my first map and my most recent ones is tremendous, and most of that improvement has been thanks to the tutorials and advice available here.

So post up your works in progress (WIP) as soon as you can--the earlier other people start looking at them, the faster they'll improve.

Welcome to the Guild, and enjoy your time with us!
    Thanks for the welcome!
    I'm not sure I want to show you what I've done. Mostly rectangles with the opacity set to 50% so they can see the grid underneath. But, i'll post it to make my later work look even better. I'm playing with CC3 right now, I'll post those as well. Thanks for your shared enthusiasm.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Welcome to the Guild Knuckles_VI!!! i am sure you will do fine. There are many tutorials on the site here for Photoshop (the most), some for CC3, and a few for Illustrator. Feel free to post up your works in progress and we will be happy to help point you in the right direction to polish things up. I would be interested in seeing your take on the DMG dungeon, even if you don't like it.

Joe
    Thanks for welcoming me to the guild! I look forwared to future discussions - while I'm getting up to speed it's great to know there are people who are "in the know".

I'll post what I've done very soon so I can get feedback. I'm thinking I'll start with big continents with CC3 and probably do my dungeons in illustrator for now. And, from what I understand, it's good to do all of the text in photoshop. I've got a lot of experimenting to do - but I'm looking forward to it. In fact, I have a weeks vacation on the coast coming up - so plenty of time to tinker.

Thanks again.

Knuckles_VI

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Welcome Aboard. Making copies of the DM Guide is simple, and while they won't look identical, if you follow the Tutorial Links under my Profile you will see how to make some really cool maps in CC3/DD3.
    LOL, your personal quote had me feeling bad about my verbosity - then I read it for a third time and "got it".

Saw you had a couple of good tutorials that I'll be sure to check out. Love your icon as well, I'm 35 - so I had that version of the player's handbook.

I think that so far the CC3 program is fairly intuitive (a little wonky, but no more so than any other graphics program I've ever used). I'll let you know what I think after I've gone through your tutorials.

Knuckles_VI

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Welcome. I know exactly how you feel about looking at maps. I mostly like making continents and once I have one done I start thinking about where stuff goes and what the people are doing. Actually putting all of that stuff IN is something I'm now learning as well. Enjoy the ride.
    Good to know somone else shares my aesthetic appreciation for fantasy maps. I'd love to take a look at some of your continents. What programs do you use?
    Last edited by Knuckles_VI; 07-02-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast