Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Unnamed map, fragment.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default [WIP] Unnamed map, fragment.

Hi everyone!

I decided to upload the first glance of oen map that I´m making, I want to create something for a dark setting in D&D games with my friends, but since I´m too excited about cartography I'm just shooting lines and drawing mountains that for the moment have no name at all... No even something like "Dark forest" nor "Tall mountain"

I have only like a week doing maps and I would love some feedback, I have got some from my friends but I need to get out of my zone of comfort, I need some serious feedback that will actually help me to improve my maps in several ways! I know that perhaps this first glance is maybe too soon to give some feedback but any feedback, advice or even idea will be awesome.

I hope you like!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP01.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	830.4 KB 
ID:	81145

I really like the mountains that you have drawn so far. I don't really have any feedback to give yet, as it is indeed in a very early stage, but so far it's looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing this develop (:

-Dan

Wip Stage 02

Hi Dan! yup, its true, maybe I have should wait a bit more to post something, but here I am, gonna post another stage... I completed all the mountains, added al the rivers and lakes and also added a zone that its gonna be something with rocks and stuff that I will be thinking later and also started to work the water a bit, still missing some waves that I usually add to my maps but since its the most boring thing for me to do I usually leave it towards the end.

One of the thing that usually worries me in my maps is the amount of things that I put on them... While I´m working on it I think that its just too much, but once I have the map complete I think that it could have been a bit more...

Anyway, I´m gonna leave in here what i have so far (Due Real life and work events its not that much, but I hope it works)

Name:	Gnomo04.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	775.9 KB 
ID:	81165

It's always interesting to see things as they develop. Keep posting - we're reading, even if we're not always replying!
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomoGrapher View Post
    One of the thing that usually worries me in my maps is the amount of things that I put on them... While I´m working on it I think that its just too much, but once I have the map complete I think that it could have been a bit more...
    I know what you mean! I think the important thing to consider here is whether you are trying to make a map that is supposed to be a useful, accurate depiction of a world, or if you are going for something more artistic. If the former, then you go with the level of detail your "users" require of their cartographer, regardless of the level of crowdedness that might result. But, if the latter, you choose how dense or sparse you want things to be based on the visual appeal of the image. I think I tend more towards the artistic end!

Oh, by the way, make sure that lake in the lower right has an outflow.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Oh, by the way, make sure that lake in the lower right has an outflow.
    That lake with no outflow bothers me far less than the one on the upper peninsula that has two outflows (and the enormous river deltas there as well). It's hard to make any real judgments about hydrology without an idea of scale, though. How large an area does this map represent?

Those are some nice mountains. I am looking forward to see how the shading (if any) develops.

@Jshoer:
    I was thinking that the lake I could leave that lake as it is, (or maybe could have several underwater caverns), I have to be honest: I´m still not 100% sure what I want about this map, so I´m just working on it as I go. But tonight I´m gonna work on some outflows to see if I get convinced about having one there, perhaps one that goes directly to the mountains would be a best option.

@Waldronate:
    I have no idea about the scale of this map, perhaps it could be in between 115 Kms and 125 kms (71.4 miles to 77.6 miles). For the map that you mentioned I was thinkign in making some sort of a swamp and I wanted a decent area for it, of course, its not carved in stone yet so it may change at the end. I´m gonna work on the shading today for sure, I usually leave the rivers and lakes after I get at least mountains and terrain done, just in case that want to change something that could affect the flow of the river or maybe the shape of the lake. I´m totally open to any ideas about this!

Very nice start Gnomographer. I already like the color choices.

Wip

Thanks Ilanthar! I´m glad that you like it

I´m here to post part of the things that I did yesterday at night. I decided to focus myself in the mountains this time (I also added some color as well, but that part is still under future changes) and took me more than I had expected, I wanted to place some shadows and lights in a way that I feel more comfortable with, even if that maybe will make my maps a bit more cartoon-ish. I´m gonna leave in here part of this stage.

Name:	Shadings01.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	81199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadings04.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	81200

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Indeed a nice start GnomoGrapher! Looks very promising overall and the shading is great so far.
    Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

This is coming along nicely! The shades and highlights on the mountains are great. Is the linework on the mountains final? The ridges would look better if they were more jagged, and drawn with thicker lines, closer to the coastline's width, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast