Thread: Overview map for an iPad strategy game

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Help Overview map for an iPad strategy game

I'm looking for a map that I could use for a strategy game I'm developing. The map would be used for a "campaign" map where the player will pick the next battle, the actual game takes place on maps handled by my engine. It's like an overview of the whole war. The battles the player can pick would be icons on said map and winning a battle would unlock new predefined battles.

This overview map would not be realistic, i.e. not a part of Europe or similar, but not too alien either. It would feel like Europe/US but without strictly being either. It would be perhaps (to make it easy) 1000x800 km in size and would contain some water and rivers. No need for woods, mountains or other terrain features. I don't want an island, the map should look like a part of a continent. There can be sea on, say, one edge of the map and lakes etc are fine too. The time era I'm using is something similar to our 17th to 19th century, meaning musket warfare with infantry, artillery and cavalry.

Coloring could be either realistic or something like these sepia like maps that I've seen here. The color should be a bit subdued though so that whatever I need to show on the map is visible. I need to be able to show some title text and 1-2 extra buttons, so the "meat" of the map should not fill the entire available area.

Ideally I'd like some icons in SVG or PNG format that I could use to represent cities and important landmarks. The map would be in a digital format of at least 2048x1536 (landscape retina iPad sized). I would like to have the right to edit the map and add cities etc as I see fit.

Obviously I would pay for the map, as it's going to be used in a commercial game. I have basically no idea what rates maps would go for. My own budget for this game is about 0€ and I don't expect it to ever make any real money (it's a labour of love) but this is still a paid thing. Doing it for free is of course acceptable too. If someone has an older map that could work for my use case please let me know, it does not have to be new and original work. But if someone wants to whip up a totally new map that would be great. Let me know what rates maps go for.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Since you cannot use private messages until you reach 5 posts, putting some e-mail adress would be nice to talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Since you cannot use private messages until you reach 5 posts, putting some e-mail adress would be nice to talk about it
    Aha, I had assumed that discussions would be public in this thread. Ok, I can be reached at jan.ekholm at the domain d-pointer.com.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Hi, Jan! I think I could paint what you are looking for. You can view my portfolio here: Lingon's Album: Finished maps If you like it, please drop me an e-mail at flygandegris--at--gmail.com (replacing "--at--" with @, of course!) and we can talk more Feel free to write in swedish if you speak it, by the way

Edit: weird, your second post didn't show up for me until now… But now that I can see your e-mail I'll contact you instead!
    Last edited by Lingon; 07-17-2013 at 04:01 PM.

I have found a person to help me with my map.