Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Shaartajar Empire

Default The Shaartajar Empire

Hi there, Im new to this forums.
    I recently got the Photoshop program, so I just wanted to show you the first map I created with it.

Im using it for a fantasy novel Im writing. It is inspired by the rise and fall of the Abbasi Caliphate, so you have to imagine it kinda like the arabic landscape (dessert, mountains,...).

ts not professional, but anyway I hope you like it.

Nice start, luc. Maybe add some color? That would also make it easier to recognize what kind of climate you are aiming for.

And you do have some river issues. The river that splits by the City Al Jazdir for one. River very rarely split downriver...river normally only merge. Now, you might have some fantasy explanation why the river splits that way (then ignore my comment ) but on earth, that is a situation that is very unlikely.

Phew, never thought that i'd be one of those people who lecture about river stuff How about a river police badge for me, eh?! ^^
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thank you for your reply, Ellathen.

The river that splits down is supposed to be like a kind of delta, like que Nile delta (even its name, the Nuhbis river is inspired by the Nile). I dont really know too much about geography, though hehe so thanks for the advise. Ill make a research about it
    By the way, I uploaded also the coloured map, even Im not sure which one is better.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the colored one better. Simple, clean, nice layout; what's not to like?

Yea it looks good. Just maybe add a border and a compass.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

The colored version looks awesome! It really comes across as a hot, dry land.

The river delta looks a bit big compared to the length of the river, I have to say. Probably not impossible though. Maybe, I'd try adding some subtle green around it, to suggest that it's more fertile land there…

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Pretty good. I'd rather use paths tool to build curved labels than PS curved text effect though to avoid font bad distorsion.

Thank you guys for all your comments and suggestions. I will take note of everything

Currently Im working on another version of the map. This is what ive achieved so far.

That has a lot of differences I think you should develop them both. One of the things I love about old maps is how they were some times uncompleted or complete guesswork and how wildly maps of the same thing sometimes differed, like these ones sort of do.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

While I wasn't much of a fan of the first map, I absolutely love the way it turned out in your second iteration! Very well done, and I love how you managed to avoid the ill-famed "coast to the east" trope which plagues so many of the fantasy maps on this forum and elsewhere. It gives it a distinct South East Asian feel. Congrats, and keep up the good work!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast