Thread: Map of Revita - process

Guild Novice

Default Map of Revita - process

I had a thread here a while ago but I'm unable to find it. So with that in consideration I'll be reposting. I've made recent re-adjustments. I actually didn't die! I just drove myself mad with the map and got too hung up about certain things instead of actually doing something useful. So I took a break and came back to it. I'm using the conical projection, but I will be doing separate views for the north hemisphere and south hemisphere on their own to achieve a better idea of their shape. I've also been utilizing Photoshop's 3d tools to get a better idea of this projected on a globe. Now, when I say restart, I really mean it. I'll be posting from the beginning of this once very stylized map to its more refined state now. These aren't really in order either but it's more than obvious which ones are new and which ones aren't.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita screen 1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	56297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revita screen 8.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	56298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revita screen 9.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	56299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revita screen 10.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	56300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss (2013-02-09 at 11.36.27).jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	56301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss (2013-02-08 at 11.28.16).jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	56302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss (2013-02-08 at 10.53.56).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	56303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita wip map 4 - zoom 3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	56304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita WIP map 4 - zoom 2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	56305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita WIP map 4 - zoom 1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	56306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita WIP map 4 - full.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	56307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita WIP map 3.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	56308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita WIP map 2.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	612.8 KB 
ID:	56309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revita WIP map.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	56310

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Looks great! I'm curious how this is going to evolve ;-)
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I wish I could do something like that

Looks great. I like the landshapes for example in the penultimate more then in the last one. For me the spot that looks naturally interesting is on the western continent round about the area between the northern end of what looks a bit like your version of the red sea and the northern ocean. And I like the map, where the frigid northlands are closer so that the people of the sweet spot have to life in fear of invasions from the strange people from their neighboring continent.

Guild Novice

Hey, thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll be posting more updates of this map tonight as I begin to revise the western continent(fix mountains, add rivers, forests, stuff like that).

Maraxus_: Thanks! Do you have any suggestions? The thing I've struggled with the most in this is river placement, and that's one of the things I wasn't sure about. Do you have any pointers? I've seen a few posts about rivers here, and I know it depends upon elevation and other things like that, but yeah.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Renacido View Post
    The thing I've struggled with the most in this is river placement, and that's one of the things I wasn't sure about. Do you have any pointers? I've seen a few posts about rivers here, and I know it depends upon elevation and other things like that, but yeah.
    If you're interested in natural looking rivers, you might wanna give Wilbur a try. The learning curve seems pretty steep, but once you've done a tutorial or two (Arsheesh's is one of the best), you'll soon get the hang of it. What Wilbur basically does is this: it takes your terrain, and gives you all kinds of erosion you can set loose on it. You can even make it carve rivers for you.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 12-12-2015 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Edited to correct outdated Wilbur link
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!