Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alnilham, Latest W.I.P.

Blog Entries

Default Alnilham, Latest W.I.P.

This is my latest, I want to do more on the oceans and land, as well as finish labels.
    The Image is 4960x3508 px, done in Gimp
    Last edited by Revock; 07-23-2013 at 06:32 AM.

That's a lovely start man. Really nice landmass shapes.

Agreed on both counts!

Blog Entries

Thanks, although its harder to see posting it from Photobucket i guess, I used the "import palette" function in Gimp on some NASA blue marble images of the Ganges, France, and Turkey. I think I got some nice palettes to mess with here and in the future. I mostly used Eriond style but instead of cutting the mountains out and going through that whole blending process, I just Diff clouded the initial height map Jezelf style for the mountains and used a transparent(black) mask on that layer to paint/fade in my mountains.

I might redo the main title, I dunno if the embellishment there and the supernova looks any good.
    Last edited by Revock; 07-23-2013 at 04:47 PM.

I would probably leave the title and compass rosette for when you're done with the main mapping stuff, and decide on the style then.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alnilham.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	56337
    Here I've changed the title and added a border. Reduced size of course to get it uploaded.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I like that border, nice and clean. And your terrain looks fantastic, I love the lush river valleys. Very good job

The title is pretty hard to read I think, might be worth testing a simpler font there. I also think the continent's overall shape is very rectangular – the coastlines are great when zoomed in, but looking at the whole thing, it seems quite adapted to the paper. There's a peninsula extending into every corner I don't know how easy it would be for you to change the shape, but personally I'd try to make some cuts to the landmass.

Blog Entries

I get what you're saying about the overall shape, it is kinda tough to change it this far along. But, as i was planning on using this as well as further maps i plan to piece together either with Hugin if i can, or in Fm8. I'll try to avoid the same mistake in the next one and post the lanshape for critique earlier in the making. The title will be easy to change, and I'll have a try at changing the land shape yet.

Blog Entries

Name:	Alnilham.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	56345
    Here's a revised land shape (grey is the adition). The title font changed as well, I'm not too worried about it's size covering anything up, the additional land areas that extend off to the north and south will show those details on their own maps. I do like fancy main titles though so I doubt I'll go much simpler on that. I'm going with extending on the west coast since i hadn't done much detaiing there yet anyway.
    Last edited by Revock; 07-24-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Name:	Worldview.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	443.5 KB 
ID:	56376 Here's a view of an idea for the larger view, I'd originally thought I'd just add them to a worldmap as i built and got ideas but, I can do it this way. this full sized is the original map plus 2 others the same size and a black space that size. (I haven't made any changes to the first map yet)
    Last edited by Revock; 07-25-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast