Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: WIP scalable Map of Continent - a source for stories and maps

To control and immerse the thoughts on climate, I look the world up again on the Lauer and Frankenberg Method. This is a Budget-Method, what means, it differs the clima into the different Thermal and Hydrological Budgets. Or more simply it generates areas with similar degrees of continentalization plus similar hydrological conditions.This devides the world into about 42 Regions which are highly comparable in climate diagrams and of course in the potential vegetation.

Because my next step will be the focussing on my worlds vegetation, this is a very important step in forming the potential vegetation - and later the real vegetation (the vegetation formed and influenced by the time, its inhabitants, catastrophies and of course mystical impacts)

As usual show me, when you´re not agreed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	climates Frankenberg.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	458.2 KB 
ID:	57955

And to reffer to vorropohaiah: I Think I started at the beginning. But as mentioned above, the second next step is the first step with influences from history, or generally from the inhabitants. For example the island-kingdom from this threads first page: It has a certain potential vegetation with maybe a coverage of 90% of wood. But the humans living there need to live on something and they need some "farmland" and some meadows and so on. Even their kind of living needs some wood for fire, production, ships, buildings and fortifications. Even the last war, when the intruders tried to build a superstucture to protect their captured land an they need masses of food and wood would have a big influence on the real vegetation. The point is, that this will be the moment to dipp deeper into the world

In Fact I´m not too interested in Climates and this things, but I want a world as much realistic as possible

To respond to Maezar:

All of the elevations are dreamed up. In fact, I first started whith a hand-made copy of the european Alps with some four levels of elevetion, but I modified the hills and mountains so that after some days I deleted the copied lines. One reason was, that they were far away from my desired degree of detailing.

So I started to work my own way. Working in Illustrator is quite funny but got lots of risk: I often got too deep and worked hours and hours for a region with about 50x50 km and when you scale the map back to the whole continent, this work is just a very small region, where none of this immense work is visible. It´s a learning process but I´m not sure, when this elevation-map will be finished..

If you want to I will do a mini tutorial inside this post
    Last edited by randigpanzrall; 09-25-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I am really impressed! I really like working in Illustrator but I often take my work over to Photoshop before too long. But this... I would definitely vote for a tutorial on your mountains if you can spare the time. But keep on the map, it is really amazing.

cheers,
    Meshon

So the first idea of potential vegetation has formed in my mind:

Name:	potential Vegetation.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	475.1 KB 
ID:	58306

I think, the next steps will be more interesting and easier, I´ll start a political map for the present world system, than focus on important regions and than create a more artistic world map. Can´t wait to get deeper into this world, where the history was already in my mind for months.

Today I will add a political map of the continent:

Name:	political.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	275.9 KB 
ID:	59329

I know, it looks very colorful, but the northern political Units (with the outlined fat border) are the United Kingdoms, which consist of some more or less strong Kingdoms itself. They all confederate under the Holy Crown of the United Kingdoms but they kept a certain status of independance..

The light grey regions are not political organised, what doesn´t mean, they don´t belong to someone - This areas are widely unknown ore just frequently inhabited by nomads, Clans, families and so on.

The dark grey areas are poltical areas with non-human population, like Dwarfs or something (what has to be defined later)
    Last edited by randigpanzrall; 11-25-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234