Thread: My First Map

Guild Novice

Map My First Map

Here is my first map. I used GIMP. I realize its not perfect but I am pleased for the first map..

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well done RES, and well deserving some rep for such a first map

Welcome to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web

Just as a bit of a critique, I think that the coastal glow might be better if it went into the water instead of the land and and it was a different colour that contrasted with the land a bit more. As it is it is hard to distinguish where the land ends and the water begins, and the rivers look like they continue past the land.... Out of curiosity, did you use any tutorials to do this or did you come up with this on your own?

Well done and continue the good work.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Its great for being your first map! I think you should make the mountains a little bit less grey, but thats just my opinion.

Guild Novice

Thank you for the comments. I followed along "Ascension's Atlas Style in GIMP" but deviated in several places when it wasn't working the way it was supposed to. I think I have decided that the white around the land is ice... Thanks!

That's indeed quite good for a first map.

Main point of critique is indeed the coastline. The glow is too heavy and subdues the land, making it hard to distinguish land and sea. This is definitly something that you should rework.

The rivers could use a little love as well... perhaps you should try a little bevel, to keep with the 3-D feeling? Also, you have a river crossing a mountain range (bottom row, sixth line)... these things should not happen.

Colouring and texture are great - especially the look of the icy areas are spot on.

I hope to see more of it.