Thread: Does this convey smooth worn stone work?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Does this convey smooth worn stone work?

Greetings,

I am starting to churn out some assets for dungeon maps. I was going for worn stone and making the tiles somewhat random as far as appearance. I was looking for some critiques and/or suggestions. Thanks in advance!

The following was created in Photoshop CS6.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DungeonTiles.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	56698

Hmm. The thumbnail doesn't look like smooth-worn stone to me, but it'd make an interesting abstract piece of wall art. The full view may be a little closer, but it's very pixelated. Smooth-worn stone in my mind has much softer contrast changes. Big contrasts can be in smooth stone, like marble types, but often stone that's been worn down has a matte texture/finish and that lessens the contrast to some degree. Were you going for a particular type of stone? Granite? Marble? Maybe I'm too picky. Perhaps if you overlay what you have with a softer watercolor-type-paper pattern and blur the pixels out a little... meh.

You know, actually, if I squint, it looks great. So, maybe just fuzz it out a little bit.
    Last edited by Chashio; 08-07-2013 at 01:06 AM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks for the insight. I will bump up the reso and carry on and play with the texture. I also meant it to be just worn & chipped tone. Smooth was my next endeavor. I was typing one thing and my mind was thinking another.