Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Valgard

Hey I'm glad you got something out of it lol. I did not intend to lay a road map for what I think you should do but rather give a suggestion of a possibility

Oh not at all, it's very helpful, thanks!

I really like the land shapes you have here.
    The map is way too dark for my taste, but as there is not much "filling" yet, i withhold my final judgement

And Viking, nice fooling around style map
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Hey Eilathen, thanks for the comment! I agree it's a bit dark right now. My monitor settings and the angle that it is set to make the colors seem lighter to me, I think, so I'll have to take this into consideration!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valgardWIP2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	56464
    I did just a small size version of this next update because it's a general one. One of the things I liked most about Vikings suggestions and concept was that the other landmass was more vertical with a diagonal, and gave the map a dynamic feel. (I even added on that little bay are I liked! I hope that's okay.) As far as what will go to the south of the western continent, I am not sure. I like the open space of it, so it may just be a small island chain or some such.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	461.8 KB 
ID:	56500
    So this is the topography I have so far. Been playing around with some of the coloring too, but haven't come to anything solid. My only worry right now is that things are looking too busy. I haven't added locations yet, but they are there in my mind. I'm just sorting out where I want some places to go and have a good background for them. Some if the landscape could change due to this. Interested to hear feedback! All the things are hand drawn with my tablet/ mouse

It look good. I'm not sure how many location you plan the add, but I think it should fit. The only option I see if you want to add more things on your map is to change the scale of your map so to stretch it.

Hey Failtality,
    haha I don't mind that you'd use that little bay in the slightest! I'm glad you liked the angle of the continent. I definitely did that deliberately and tried to make the two land masses different shapes and sizes. I'd watch that your lakes all drain out to the ocean as most do. I like the font though it may be a little hard to read small.

Thanks for all the positive support and suggestions! Super late right now, so I'll just say the minimum: I decided to up the brightness or the map quite a bit, though maintained some better color balance, I think. It doesn't look nearly so murky now, and still keeps that "dream" quality. Lakes and rivers are fixed as per suggestion by Viking. Also added a figure at the bottom to add a bit more personality to the frame. Sort of ambivalent about it now, but maybe in the morning I'll have another perspective of it. I have a much better idea of where some more locations will go, but that will be another update. Thanks again!

Name:	World-Valgard.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	56526

This is an interesting development. The brightness is surely better now but still on the darker side. Not sure if i care for the forests (i guess these are forests?). Maybe make them at least a little bit green-ish?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I hope you don't mind if I tested colors on you map

Name:	World-Valgard copie.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	56531

I used 2 green 1a482b and 167a3c on a new layer set to color density -

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast