Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Valgard

Oh man, thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it. Makes me less doubtful by far! It's one of those times where you stare at something so long, and you're not sure what's good anymore.

I have to second Diamond on that one. This one really does look special, and it definitely gives the impression of floating land, I don't know if you were still going for that or not but it looks sooo good.

Edit. You should do a side by side of all three to see how it's progressed, I just looked back through the thread and thought it was interesting to see.
    Last edited by Falconius; 11-25-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks a whole bunch! At your recommendation I did go back and look. It has definitely been something of a journey. I feel like the progression is going well. It will be a long time for this one to be -for real- done (it's a world I'm constantly working on as I draw characters, build story, etc), but I'm now on a good pace to have something I can present in the near future.

Have you thought about making the borders of your countries with colors with the center transparent ? something like that : http://www.cartographersguild.com/ho...tml#post227902

I did by accident

That's a really snazzy effect. Would it work with artificial borders and not just the individual landmasses? I think I understood your instructions well enough, but I wasn't sure

Yes, it actually seems to work but my technique is not perfect yet.

in my test I had:
    I layer for the border with a blur effect
    1 layer with a gradient transparent effect toward the interior (I added an exterior light effect in the layer option)
    1 layer with the country color (optional)
    a dark background or a pale one but it's harder to make the color match

and I get something like that which is still a WIP (but I skipped the part with the lines)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sans titre-1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	559.2 KB 
ID:	59480

I forgot to say that when you change the color (to black) , it's better to change it with the options than with the paint tool. With the tool, every pixel selected become 100% opacity wich could be a problem later.
    Using Alpha channels is new for me but it has its advantages.

I actually played around with some of your ideas yesterday, and to some interesting effect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valdiagshade.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	59496

I think it looks interesting, but may not 100% fit in with the style, so may hold off on using it. Like I said, I LOVE the effect though. Great idea!
    Last edited by Failtality; 12-01-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Oh wow, I like that! It really looks good with the orange labels contrasting with the color of the diagonal strokes. My vote is to use that technique, or at least keep playing around with it.

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

The dark one features a pretty bold and interesting style. I like it!

I am glad that your still working on this and its looking really promising
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678