Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Valgard

Default Valgard

Hey folks! While I'm new here, I've already gotten some great help and suggestions/ feedback from others (like Azelor) in the resource area, I think I've gotten I good direction for m WIP world of Valgard. It's undergone many iterations already as far as history and such goes, but I'm nearing steadier ground, as it were. Valgard is a fantasy world, where Chaos and Order are held in constant balance by spiritual guardians known as Courtiers. They alone protect and patrol the borders of Valgard, the world; and the "Nowhere"- a mysterious topsy-turvy realm and home of the guardians themselves. Some are touched by this other land and granted great powers. Others are wary of the source, and seek to protect from it. Time and circumstance blur these notions, however; and those caught in the cross must choose their own destinies. The area that is featured, at least at this moment, is a country of Durenhart, which is the last remnant of a once great empire, that traces founders back to a mythical civilization (Think along the lines of the mythical founding of Rome to the collapse and split of the "Holy Roman Empire")

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World-Valgard.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	56447

As you can see, I've only worked on some of the area sectioned off by mountains, known as Aethonia (Hopefully it evokes a western European like feel without being too much) There is a lot of work still to be done. There will be more continants, etc, but I havint fully decided on where im going with those, yet. I'm not sure about the color balance on some elements, and I'm not sure what sort of texture, or what I should use on the main land. Something subtle, I think. Anyway, comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Failtality; 07-27-2013 at 09:15 PM.

I'm still here

It look really great, It's like a dream world or something, lost in the clouds. But dark at the same time. Black background and you use color to make your elements. Well I mean, like your mountains. I think you are on the right track for something unique.

Thanks for the comments and compliments! I hope I didn't offend you or something... Not sure what you meant by that first part! I really appreciate your comments and help in the other section!

This could be really great. I enjoy the background exposition you've set up for it. Speaking of, I also like the cloud idea in the background of the map. What is this for? Or is this a project in and of itself?

Yeah, this is a world that I'm building for the fun of it. I have a whole informational PDF I'm working on for it too, but its not nearly done, since I keep changing some of the finer details of the history- the general idea and characters that fill it remain the same though. I can't really take credit for the cloud background. Its all hand drawn by myself though. I got the idea from a map aboard the queen Mary. It's more uh... Stylistic than representative of actual cosmology\ topography.

It was just a joke

Hey Failtality, this seems pretty promising and is a very interesting look so far. The land outlines and colour scheme make it feel futuristic to a point. Hopefully things will read well as you develop this and it will make sense colour wise. Do you intend for green forests and grey mountains on top of the black or will you fill in the land with another colour eventually? Also, what do you intend to do with all that space on the right? Fill it in with a legend? Again, it's looking good so far.

Hi Viking! The colors are still a work in progress, I think I will try for a more monochromatic tone with pops of color here and there so it'll emulate the Art Deco feel I'm going for. At the same time it needs to feel mythic. Any tips to get to that point would be greatly appreciated! As for the left over space I do want to add more land, but right now I don't have any ideas for what yep of people's would live there. I know it is sort of backwards, but that's where I am right now

lol I couldn't help myself but play around with how one might continue the map with just crisp lines. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World-Valgard viking screwing around.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	56453

I get what you mean art deco and mythic feeling. It's a kind of neat combination and I'm not going to lie I'm not even sure what to suggest unfortunately. It is indeed odd to think of occupants before the living space that would form them first but whatever works :p

I guess maybe if I wanted a more mythic feel I'd go the hand painted route for everything.

Oh neat, I definatly like some of the things you did there, especially that little bay area in the middle! I'm very impressed with how nicely you filled things out. I dunno if I'd use exactly what you have layed out, but there are lots of things I like! Thank you! It's great in helping with some direction

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast