Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: July/August 2013 Lite Entry : Europe before the revolution

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip July/August 2013 Lite Entry : Europe before the revolution

As you might already have seen my previous topic, I have moved the topic here in order to participate. When I started working on my map earlier this week I did not know there was a contest, so I decided to give it a shot.

It's a map for a possible steampunk rpg campaing that should take place in Europe and in the Ottoman Empire prior the revolutions of 1848. The setting is not altered politically but the technology is more advance.

To make it, I'm using illustrator and photoshop and Indesing (just a little)

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	europe avecdrapeau terne copie2.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	861.5 KB 
ID:	56448
    Last edited by Azélor; 08-06-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Not sure you used paths to curve labels. If you didn't I'd rather use this. Also the curves of most of your labels doesn't make that sense in terms of the shapes of the countries.

I always like the history of Western Europe and how it looked politically different over the years, so great job! This is for an alternate history type of thing, or one just based in history? I'm interested to see where you're going

The game start with the historical setting but as the tale progress it will slowly start to diverge .

Max: do you mean this ? http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...photoshop.html
    yes, that is how I made most of the labels.

Ill try to adjust it but I'm not sure what you mean

Pretty good thing you use the paths to curve your labels. What I meant is that curved labels make sense when it need to be curved. If you have room for an horizontal one, go for it (or a very slight horizontal curve). If you dn't have room, curve it trying to follow the country orientation/shape and use kerning to fill the space.

I think I understand what Max is saying, and he makes a good point. Have a look at this map for example. Most big labels go either straight or are slightly curved becouse there is little reason for them to curve to much. Then take a look at the Papal States, a great example for using a more curved label.

I hope that makes sense.

The picture is from this thread.

PS. I love the map by the way. Every Time there's a real world map on here I just love it!

Ok so I I understand what you mean, It's better to have straight labels unless they are too big. Right ?

So either I make them straight at the same size or I could make them bigger and curve them if necessary.

You got it. You can switch straight labels to very slight curved ones if you want to.

Very interesting map. I'm going to throw this out for anyone to answer...Should he pick one language for his map and stick to it or go with the polyglot mesh like he has now? Personally, I like the single language route.

Quote Originally Posted by WillP View Post
    Very interesting map. I'm going to throw this out for anyone to answer...Should he pick one language for his map and stick to it or go with the polyglot mesh like he has now? Personally, I like the single language route.
    That is the question I was asking myself. It's getting more inconsistent in eastern Europe since (take Poland for example) is divided between Austria, Prussia, and Russia. Should I put the name in polish, russian or german? I'm not so sure. Stick with one languege might be better.

I need your opinion on this. If it's single language I hesitate between french, english or maybe latin... Would using french be a problem since most people use english?

By the way I should update soon, fixed the lettering.

edit: What do you think of including others important cities to the maps? this is the illustrator version so don't pay much attention to the other layers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	56481
    Last edited by Azélor; 07-29-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast