Thread: Depicting Reefs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Depicting Reefs?

I'm working on a map, and am trying to come up with a good way to depict reefs that blends with the iso style...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reef.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	56485

Any suggestions or pointers to other examples? I'm not happy with the ones I've drawn

-Rob A>

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I have been thinking about this since I first saw this, looking for reefs/sandbars on older maps, but I can only suggest maybe some close dots like sand surrounded by your coastal lines. I think that this might give the impression that there is something close to or just above the water surface. Something like what you have just off the coast due east from Joihaka.

Sorry for not having examples....
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I've been thinking about how to do reefs in general myself.

I've seen hand drawn images of old showing them but it seemed the reefs where the point of the map so that's really not what you want here (unless I miss your point).

If I were experimenting on that I would try a few mockups:
    1. Draw them using a finer point
    2. draw them using a blunt/fuzzier point
    3. draw them at a lower opacity
    4. shading the entire shoreline leaving reef areas white thus indicating them by omission.

Mind you, I haven't actually tried any of these yet but that's what I would try if I were. It's quite possible none of them will work.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

What I ended up going with was a cluster of really small island shapes with the multiple outset lines like the rest of the coast.

I'll hope to post up the full map and a wip thread when I get a chance.

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

-RobA>