Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [WIP] Newtown

Actually, I have to disagree about the buildings. It is a common feature of fantasy city maps to show those odd little shapes, and, if those cities are inspired by medieval Europe, they are completely wrong. Buildings didn't tend to sit in their own distinct pockets, but were joined up; they'd usually share at least one wall with their neighbours. This is something of a pet peeve of mine, so I'm probably quite fanatical about correct urban form.

Anyway, I like the layout of this map. I can't honestly say I'm convinced yet about some features, but I've already mentioned them in earlier posts. Nice job.

What buildings are you guys talking about in this map? Really all I see are completely normal looking rectangular buildings. The most odd shaped one there is the cathedral which is still totally rectangular in makeup. Where are the odd shapes? What am I missing? Surely the red shading is not representative of buildings. The scale makes that unlikely as does the inclusion of blue shaded actual buildings that are clearly labeled. It seems perfectly obvious to me that the red represents areas which buildings occupy. Am I wrong?

No, you're right Falconius. I was grumbling about a tendency in other fantasy city maps.

Hoarsewisperer is correct. Odd shaped buildings occur, but are not the norm. In a crowded city, the buildings are built together in rows leaving little unused space. Isolated buildings are usually found in towns, and less developed small cities.

Falconius, I was not commenting on the buildings that were already on this very nice map, but making a suggestion that if he was going to fill the city blocks with buildings that they should look like buildings and not a bunch of irregular, illogical shapes. Since it appears he does not plan on adding a lot of buildings to his map, my suggestion was irrelevant, and the map is just fine the way it is.

Man I was so confused, thanks for clearing that up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123