Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP Complete, full color, 2d / 3d vector map of Tyr

Post WIP Complete, full color, 2d / 3d vector map of Tyr

Fellow map makers, behold the power of Sketchup!!

This is a work in progress but progress is going very fast. Now that I have broken through the glass ceiling with Sketchup you guys and the Dark Sun community in general can expect some fantasic resources coming very soon (like a few days).

To that end this is a beta version of what I hope will become the new "official" map of Tyr. Once I get all the buildings modeled up I can paint them very easily. Then the really fun stuff begins. I am going to place unique buildings in there and as a long term goal all the points of interest described in the books will be custom building with these medium quality buildings as the filler.

And the best part is this will be available as a vector map. That means that you can zoom in as far as you want to go, from a birds eye view all the way to combat grid level.

As you can see I am modeling this right off the OFFICIAL boxed set map(!!)

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%2...ion%20WEB2.jpg

This will be something like the finished version, but the final version buildings will be fully colored and textured:

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%2...tup3%20web.jpg
    Last edited by Vizier; 07-01-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Boy, you've got a lot of work ahead of ya Kudos to you if you have the patience and tenacity to see it all the way thru.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Again I have to echo Ascension - lot's of work ahead and congrats if you have the patience to finish.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

THe modeling is nearly finished and I have begun some work on painting the buildings. I am going to have a couple different versions when its all said and done.

I am going to have an all white pure map version that could easily be used in any setting with some photoshop magic. There will also be a painted version that doesnt have any custom buildings on it for the Dark Sun purists that just want a better version of the map that came with the boxed set. The final vesion will be for me personally and anyone else who wants it, with all of my custom buildings and placed of interest added to the map. Heres where I am as of this morning:

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%2...%20percent.jpg

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%2...cent%20iso.jpg

Holy crap that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
    Holy crap that's awesome.
    Thanks. Wait til you see the city at night...yet another advantage of mapping in Sketchup!

Getting closer to a finished prodcut here...what background do you guys think I should use? Functional white/black or something fancy like an old parchment?

http://www.wiijii.com/vizier50/DnD%2...%20percent.jpg

I'd have several different backgrounds; plain, parchment, etc. just have them all on seperate layers so you can turn them on/off at your leisure.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Good call! Do you have any easy links to some parchment type images? I could do on in Photoshop but modeling has consumed my life and I could use a shortcut.

Check the mapping elements forum here and there should also be a list of various texture sites floating around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast