Thread: Recommendations for overland hexmap "toolchain" ?

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question Recommendations for overland hexmap "toolchain" ?

Hey Guys,

Has anybody got any recommendations for creating continental and local overland hexmaps? I've tried Hexographer, but decided that it is unfortunately not fit for the purpose. I am fairly decent with gimp and inkscape, can't really afford Adobe products (but if you have an AWESOME way to do hexmaps with them don't hold back)...

Thanks,

- Nils

Why don't you create a map as you normally do, then place a hex grid on top? That's what I do. To me a grid is a very secondary add-on to a map, it simply helps depict defined scale regions within a map.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

I just use the DrawHexGrid program found here:

Tutorials & Utilities

I then can port the resulting hex grid into photoshop, cut the white background out, and re-size it. Since the file it creates not vector, at times the results can be a bit rough. I always make sure to set the hex grid line thickness to at least 3 pixels, which seems to help. Here is a pic of the programs options, and part of a map I did that used the grid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DrawHexGrid351a.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	60513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SotP_Map.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	60514  

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

To me a grid is a very secondary add-on to a map
    Board war-gamers would lynch you for such a thought!

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I guess I wasn't quite clear with my question. With a "hexmap" I mean a map that is based on a hexgrid, not a regular map that simply has hexes overlain. Coastlines, rivers, roads, borders etc should still be freehand. Basically looking for a hexcrawl type thing.

The problem isn't that it's impossible to do with Gimp/Inkscape (I can't afford Adobe products I fear), but rather that it's exceedingly tedious. Gotta place those hex symbols absolutely correctly or it'll look crappy. The usual .svg hex grid generators do centerdots, so it can be done, but... it's just... a lot of really fiddly work anyway.

I've got a pre-designed Hex grid that I use, the grid exists without a map and at several predetermined sizes of maps I regularly use, one at 18" x 24", 24" x 36" and 36" x 48". All I need to do is generate a map at any one of those dimensions, then when finished, I import the hex grid and place - lined up perfectly and looking great. If I have to adjust the grid for a custom map, it's nothing more than deleting a row of hexes until it fits the size needed. And as stated in many other threads of mine, creating maps very quickly is done faster in the application I use than anything else I've ever tried - its not tedious at all. (Though its not free, Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9 is $89, but has a 30 day free trial to try it out.)

@timallen - I am not suggesting that using a grid is unimportant, rather it's so easy to add to any map, it's hardly worth a thought, just add it and your done.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-22-2014 at 03:53 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    The problem isn't that it's impossible to do with Gimp/Inkscape (I can't afford Adobe products I fear), but rather that it's exceedingly tedious. Gotta place those hex symbols absolutely correctly or it'll look crappy. The usual .svg hex grid generators do centerdots, so it can be done, but... it's just... a lot of really fiddly work anyway.
    Try adding an "Axonometric Grid" in Inkscape It will let you snap things to a hexagonal/triangular grid