Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Incomplete Sevul

Or leave it unnamed and slap on a label that says, "Here thar be pirates! Arr!"
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

lol Interesting, but I can't do that. That area is a plot-critical location, the pirate base is The main-character's hometown, it's where the story starts. So I at least I need a nickname for it. Its going to be the Black Dragon ........something. ...........All of the place names are rather bland aren't they?

Guild Member Facebook Connected Gumboot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Ryuu View Post
    lol Interesting, but I can't do that. That area is a plot-critical location, the pirate base is The main-character's hometown, it's where the story starts. So I at least I need a nickname for it. Its going to be the Black Dragon ........something. ...........All of the place names are rather bland aren't they?

There is no geographical term for the body of water you've highlighted. Your only real option is to call it something like "XX Coast".

Wouldn't it just be referred to as a strait? Or a channel alternately.
    Last edited by Falconius; 08-14-2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: "Refereed," seriously? Why auto correct? Why?

Lol yea channel, straight, passage, or even sound could work. You could also use the word "waters" though that isn't really geological.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Gumboot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Lol yea channel, straight, passage, or even sound could work. You could also use the word "waters" though that isn't really geological.

Yeah, I mean you could use them, but your main issue is the area highlighted would really consist of multiple features, so there's no easy term for the whole area. The coastal inlet to the right would just be a bay/inlet/etc, while the north-south strip could maybe be called a straight or channel, and there's really nothing geographically speaking for the bit to the west between the two islands, though you could probably get away with "channel" or "passage" as you say.

It's very difficult to really judge without a scale as well, because all of these terms we're describing are limited to navigable waterways. The northern strait looks as narrow as the river, so I don't know that it would really be navigable for a sea-going vessel.

I'd be inclined to name the area through the middle (to the bay) as "XX Harbour", name the two narrow sections channels, straits, or passages (two separate ones, maybe even just north and south channel or something), and give the mouth of the harbour between the two islands a more colloquial name like "The Neck" or "The Maw" or something.

hrm.... I'm not quite satisfied with it, (It doesn't look natural to me) so I'll change that area a "little" bit.

The Black Dragon's Throat.

The Black Dragon's Maw.

Though I'd personally go with the shorter

Dragon's Jaw
    Dragon's Teeth
    Dragon's Maw
    Dragon's Throat

Since it gets a lot of traffic from scary pirates, you could call it the "Scared Strait".

The more I think about the plot the more sci-fi it gets, rather than the original fantasy. ............... Ah well, if it turns out better that way then who cares?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast