Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: July 2008 Entry: Kane's Place

No more updates to the map yet, got a little distracted trying to learn isometric mapping for a bit.

In answer to Ravells: All of the outside buildings, the stone railings, and all of the furniture except for the treasure chests were rendered in Poser. I forgot to mention Bryce as well. The tree in the courtyard was in it.

Started thinking about what tokens will be used on the map. Pulled out a few of my old ones and edited them a little where needed.

Thought it might be a good idea to include pog style ones as well as the topdown tokens. Given the theme of the map, I wanted to try for a coin type style on the tokens, went a little overboard and ended up with these. Some worked out better than others...

Topdowns to follow in the next post due to 5 upload limit.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

The topdown tokens for the map so far (sized to match the map).
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Nice tokens!

This is probably where I'll fail in this challenge - the inability to create tokens in the quality of my map. I do have Nendo, Poser, Raydream Studio - so I've got the tools to the job, just not the clothing and other objects to make the most of my top downs.

Creating objects of objects is easy stuff for me. People, not so much.

Excellent job here, Vry, but then as Trevor and others on RPTools suggest you're their best mapper - I have to agree.

My map is enough to participate, even compete - your map is a win for sure!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Added the little garden, more furniture and decorations.

The floor scuffs didn't look as obtrusive before collapsing the layers, I'll probably need to fade those out a bit.

Still To Do:
    Pick some more tokens for other thugs/patrons.
    Minor tweaks.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kane's Place.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	4897  

* Extra consideration will be awarded to those that provide VTT elements such as tokens, and objects.
    * This should be a ready to use map with all the objects and tokens already in place.
    * Those that wish to, can provide the maps sans objects and tokens once they have finished, but this is not a requirement of the challenge but would be appreciated by those of us that use VTs.

Looks like one does not NEED to make tokens to win.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

... and here was me thinking I might pitch in for this month's challenge I will, but only if I can come up with a killer hook - Vry really has the detailed map market sewn up.

A few queries about this as it stands though. Firstly - there's a lot of fade to black going on around the side. I can do that with FOW in VTT maps if I need to. With this map I can see my players walking over there and asking me to reveal what they can see and I'd have to say 'um, I don't know'. Also I'm intrigued by a circular feature up at the top of the map - it is huge tunnel going down, or a circular roof? Also the room with the antlers on the south wall is incredibly blurry - was that intentional (a fug of narcotic smoke ) or will this sharpen up in the final? Finally - are the tables and chairs movable? I know that my players tend to throw things around when a bar fight breaks out and the fixtures don't stay fixed for long.

That's a few pretty niggly queries on what is a truly astounding map. Good work as always.

*edit: Never mind - I've figured out that the blurred area is the lower floor seen through the open space in the first floor. Maybe it would help to darken the lower area to make this difference clear.

I do have one more query though - what is the roof that is visible to the right of the upper floor? It doesn't look like there are any supports for this to the right of the lower floor. I might just be being dense again, but I can't see how that fits together.
    Last edited by torstan; 07-08-2008 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post

I do have one more query though - what is the roof that is visible to the right of the upper floor? It doesn't look like there are any supports for this to the right of the lower floor. I might just be being dense again, but I can't see how that fits together.

That's a different building. It has no relationship to the upper floor at all. I think what Vry was intending is the the "main" level be the one on the right, the upper level was moved and placed as a sort of "inset" over top of the other buildings in the area in the upper left corner of the map. Likewise for the cellar in the lower left.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Ah, got you. It was clearer in the first map. I understand now.

Shaping up to be a very nice map Vry. The one thing that always detracts from the usability of your maps for me, (this is an incredibly small nitpic mind you) is the darkness/built in light sources. Obviously for the challenge this is perfectly fine, but if you were to include the map for use, I would prefer the whole thing to be "properly lit up". Meaning no dark corners and the like. That way I can put in my own light sources or control the light better if someone were to blow out the candles for example. With everything being dark and shadowy when the PC moves into the corner with his torch, there is no way for it to "brighten up".

That said, this is a beautiful map and definitely in the running for the win I'm sure. I also repped you for the wonderful tokens you've posted. Both the pog and top down styles are excellent.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast