15 46.88%
  • The Mahazan Empire - By Schwarzkreuz

0 0%
  • Helm's Deep - By Beonor

5 15.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: July Challenge Voting - Mapping the Novel

Awesome stuff guys - sorry I haven't been able to get in on any of these lately but I'm looking forward to joining you all again soon.

Max - that is fantastic and very complete. It's my favorite of the lot.
    Diamond - great map and one of my favorite trilogies too. I like the simplicity and the cleanliness.
    Sapiento - For me this was close behind Max's and you both had a similar feel which I enjoyed very much. Just the extra touches Max had with the bordering and information put his on top for me. On the bright side a vote is a vote
    Beoner - I liked this one very much as well but I figured I should only cast 3 votes. Still, I like the style you have going on here. The muted scheme you used harkens to the middle earth styles we often see so kudos for that. Maybe it's my monitor or my poor eyesight but a couple of the others just had a bit more eye-pop that drew me to them (not sure how to explain that - it just looked kind of even across the board). Still a fabulous job and a worthy contender.
    SK(because it's too much to type) - I know you got ill so that explains the uncompleted entry. As usual with your stuff what you have done is great.
    Leen - a good entry as well. I am wondering what that style might look like on a massive scale as in if you did a huge city or world map like that. It could be incredible but would require a ton of detail. On a small scale it's 'looseness' (which a lot of people like I have to admit) leaves me uncertain how much I like it. I makes me wish I could see the rest of the map (so that's a good thing) which brings me back to my 'massive scale' comment.

As usual, these are just the thoughts I have as I look the entries over and what helped me to decide who I voted for. When I can, I try to post my why's and wherefores as perhaps they may help someone garner more votes in future. I appreciate all the artwork shared as I know how tough it can be for some of us to put ourselves out there for judgement so it is never my intention to hammer anyone's effort.

Keep on mapping!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

wow couple of real beauties in there. Sap I love your mountains and have saved into my "inspiration" folder

Some wonderful stuff - I'll need to think it over as there are some tough choices. Max needs to share a few of his techniques I think. =P

I was sadly unable to devote the time to enter but I may still do the map idea at some point anyway.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Max's was, far and away, my favorite. The fact that the Fafhrd and Mouser stories are some of my favorites didn't hurt either. I also voted for Sap cause, let's face it, you can't go wrong with his maps.

BTW, thanks for all the rep, guys!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

First time voter here. I voted for Max as I love his work and I love his style.

I didn't realise I could vote multiple times. My second vote would have went to Sapiento. His (her?) map looked very painterly to me and I liked the colours and loved the coastal style. The only thing I didn't like about it was the compass rose: it was too prominent and I didn't like the direction letters on it. I think it would have worked better if it was smaller/faded/made simpler or if the simple border style was made more elaborate to match.

I loved the font, border, compass rose and cartouche of Diamond's map and I liked how you bend the names with the coast or the mountain chains too. I thought the map looked a little sparse, but the detail was great when close up, especially in the Aareni area. Diamond would have gotten my third vote.

I know better for next time.

Great job all.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I voted for Max, D and Sap. I wish I wouldnt be nearly constantly ill or stressed or most time booth in thjis year. I think I will skip challenges till I have time

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm praying to the gods LessStress and NotSick that SK gives us more awesome maps in the months ahead.

@SK - Hey man, even if you don't finish them just by your entering you force everyone to bring their 'A' game. So even if you do have some health issues I for one am always happy for your efforts.

Also, I have wishes for your being healthy
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    I voted for Max, D and Sap. I wish I wouldnt be nearly constantly ill or stressed or most time booth in thjis year. I think I will skip challenges till I have time
    Sorry to hear this. Gute Besserung!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I'm praying to the gods LessStress and NotSick that SK gives us more awesome maps in the months ahead.
    Quoted for truth!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast