Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World or City maps... which is harder?

Blog Entries

Default World or City maps... which is harder?

Hi all
    I am working on both for my world but I was wondering which people had more difficulty with...

For me it's trying to make them look realistic as if the place really exists. I've seen some beautiful examples from the likes of Max, Kyaarmi and Elyden.

Just wondering what people think in general and suggestions of what people think are good examples of both...

Cheers
    Peter

I think the difficulties with City maps is that they are very specific and of course detailed. You have to either know, or work out, most of the details if you want a successful look. With world maps you can kind of wing it and it will still leave a lot of room for a persons imagination to fill in. Speaking generally of course.

They're both as hard and as long as you make them. You would be going into as much detail as you wanted to, for me, City Maps are harder, as the lack of experience, and I want to make them extremely detailed.

IMO, city maps are the more difficult to do.

As Evil Eagle states, any map can be as complicated as you want to make it.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

It depend of your style and skills. Some prefer to do cities but I agree that it usually requie more details.

City maps are more tedious, for sure, for the basic amount of detail they require. Yet I find it more difficult to portray naturalistic features (e.g., mountain ranges, large forests, etc.) convincingly than human-made structures. And hence, I find myself myself much less certain when working on world/regional maps than city/town maps, despite the fact that the latter takes much longer.

I agree with city maps being more difficult. Not in that they are so hard to actually draw but I personally get bored drawing squares upon squares upon squares upon.... well you get the point. I guess I should stick to villages
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I find city maps easier but that is because I am more comfortable drawing them and I've had more practice at them. I never seem to be satisfied with my regional or world maps and usually end up abandoning them.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies guys. For me they both seem quite daunting right now. I've drawn plenty of maps in my time but nothing compared to the works of art I've seen here. Truly inspirational!

I found this old map of Genoa on a Google search but some of the maps from the Guild seem more authentic somehow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	genova.jpg 
Views:	1550 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	56625

Will let you know how I get on

Cheers

Peter

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice inspiration map. I wouldn't say that cities maps are harder but somehow more time consuming, though depending if you go on some detailed/full colors maps, world/regional ones can also be as time consuming as the cities ones. In my opinion, it all depends on which style you go on both kind of maps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast