Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for RPG Grass terrian

Guild Novice

Jack, looking at that grass texture a little more I can see where the grass textures are coming together to make the grass texture bigger. We need to find a grass texture that blends together better when we put them together.

I would like to have the road centered too. That plays a part in my board game.

Thank you,
    Tony

Guild Novice

Just read your last reply. Yep, you are right. I did send you a grass texture in pm, but it did not get to you. I did not get around sending to you again; due to I was out all day yesterday and I just got up. I have some crazy hours. I was just about to send it to you again, until I saw what you put up in this topic. Now I am just trying to work with you on what you put up.

Yeah, I can get the grass texture for you. Give me a sec and I will send that one had to you again. Sorry about that.

Wife is calling me right now. Need to talk to her first.

Again, thank you for all that you are doing for me. Most of the time I am right on things. I like how you are right on things. You are fast and I like that. Never thought someone was faster than me. Man, I am slacking this time. Talk to you soon. Going to se what the wife wants.

Tony

Guild Novice

I took the grass image I had and put them together to see if it would blend together. It did not. So I will not be sending you this one. I am going to have to search some more online to find a grass texture that will blend together when you put them together to make a bigger grass image.

The other option is for me to pay for a high quality grass image that is bigger, so that we do not have to put it together to make it bigger.

I have to be at work in 4 hours. So I am not going to be able to find something by then. For now if you like, you can see if you can crop this grass image below to work together. I found this grass texture on my computer. I like the color of it and I think it would work with sand texture we already have. But it just has to blend together. Right now I can see that it will not; due to it has a lighter green grass color on the right side of it. You would have to crop that out and see what happens.

For now, I will keep looking. I just thought while I am looking, you could play around with the grass image below. I understand that time would play a factor here. So if that is problem, then do not worry about playing around with the grass image below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grass.jpg 
Views:	11718 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	56799

Ok.

Here is your grass texture stretched across the map - not good.

Name:	YourGrass3.jpg 
Views:	1274 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	56808

Here it is tiled and using some some easy tricks to reduce tiling: (i) offset and 50% opacity (ii) offset and plasma-masked. Results are not perfect but perhaps this is what you wanted?

Name:	YourGrass1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	56809 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YourGrass2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	56810

Guild Novice

Stretching it is a bad idea. I know that will mess up the grass texture. That is why I said to try to put that grass texture together to make it bigger, rather than stretching it.

No, this will not work. Yes, I know I am not going to get this to look real good for free. But I do not want to go this way either. But your time you are taking to do this for me, means a lot!

I need to mow the grass before I go to work. Funny, I brought up grass again. Any way, I might just go ahead with buying a high res grass texture to get this to look right. I just thought it would not hurt to try something with that grass texture. The color of it match good with that sand texture.

Thanks,
    Tony

No problem and good luck - it will not be easy to get a grass texture that looks good over such a large empty area for free! The few times I have created grass expanses of that size for clients, it was a LOT of work. If you have the choice, I would advise you to break it up with other vegetation and less linear paths so disguise the repeated texture seams.

Here, grass texture and free, not the best, but better than most.

Name:	grass-new.jpg 
Views:	31889 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	56812
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Big improvement - thanks Gameprinter.

Name:	basiclayout.jpg 
Views:	813 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	56818

Guild Novice

Gamerprinter, thank you for taking your time to help us out. Yes, your grass texture blends together very well to make it look clean. But there will be miniature figures on this image after it is printed out as a game mat. What I am concern about is that your real looking grass texture might look to long when a miniature figure is over it. In other words, real looking grass textures might not work with model miniatures.

Here is a example image I gave on this topic to show what I am looking for. If you go look at model grass terrain, you will see that it does not look like real grass. I am trying to put together a printed out image of the made up model grass terrain. The person who did the image below, did what I would like to do. But it does not have the layout and size I want along with I do not want those square lines over it.

Name:	PZOSQW30031-BACK.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	56829

I am sorry if I seem to be to picky. I think the main problem here is me. I should have explained what I wanted better from the start. Meaning that I should have said what I just said about wanting model grass texture as an image to print out. My bad on that.

I am thinking about going to a local hobby store that plays warhammer and take a real close picture of their grass terrain with my camera. Then maybe we or just me now can use that. I hope I will still get support on this. If not, I will understand.

Gamerprinter, again thanks for your help. Your grass texture work together and was clean. But I hope you can understand the concern I have with it.

Jack, thank you for putting his grass texture on this image we are trying to put together. I know you like it, but I also hope you understand my concern about it.

Thank you guys for what you are doing for me.

Tony
    Last edited by tonyj; 08-12-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Have a look at these tony:

synthetic grass texture pack | OpenGameArt.org [note that you would need to make your game open source - ie release source code - if you end up with one of these]

Textures - 6 Packs Artificial Grass Texture | GraphicRiver [$2 but I think this one is also non-commercial?]

Is this the sort of texture you are looking for? I'm sure you will be able to find a commercial seamless version of one of these for $5-ish or less online if you spend a bit of time. I think it is a mistake for you to try and create a seamless texture from a home photograph unless you know exactly what you are doing, because it is a fair amount of work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast