Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: City of Azena, Capital of Al Senia

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice map with a good overall look!

I love your render of the waves. How did you do the scum effects?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the scum effects", but I hand-drawn the waves with a brush from Photoshop's default dry media set and erased it into shape. The scattered white foams are just two different layers hand-dabbled 1 pixel dots, both with a bit of Gaussian blur on it, and one of the layers set to about 50% opacity.
    Last edited by justMANGO; 08-13-2013 at 03:27 PM.
    Here's a link to my deviantART, because I haven't got better things to write here (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    You could enter this in this month's Challenge, "Redo an older map"

Well done!
    Thanks for the compliment. I was actually thinking of redoing a different map for August's challenge, because I've actually be wanting to redo that one for a while. I'll start a tread about it when I have a few WIP to show the world.
    Here's a link to my deviantART, because I haven't got better things to write here (yet).

Thanks for your answer!

I was thinking about the foam. Wasn't really glad with my question too, but I didn't find something better when I wrote it.

Nice map!, I like the overall colorful style, and the fields and sea details (sheeps and ships ) The only thing I don't quite like is how you placed the white labels on the left, but other than that is a very pleasant map, gz!

Really nice color palette and treatment of water and the sparkles, the parks are awesome. Beautiful job. One of the best titles I've seen done, no the best title I've seen done. Have some reps

The building names may be a bit small depending upon final size, maybe the transparency on them isn't needed? The docks look a little funny with the shadow, makes them look a little rounded. Water washing ashore on the rocks not quite right.

This has been a favorite of mine ever since I saw it on DA.
    I just ran across it here and had to say how much I like this.
    This inspired me to try the waves with Haerlech. Three thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by lesopeso View Post
    Nice map!, I like the overall colorful style, and the fields and sea details (sheeps and ships ) The only thing I don't quite like is how you placed the white labels on the left, but other than that is a very pleasant map, gz!
    Thanks! Where do you think is a better place for the labels?

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    The building names may be a bit small depending upon final size, maybe the transparency on them isn't needed? The docks look a little funny with the shadow, makes them look a little rounded. Water washing ashore on the rocks not quite right.
    Had to check this but it seems that I posted the map at 75% full size, but you're right that the names are a bit hard to read. I can try setting it to less transparency. And yea, the dock shadows needs to be a little less faded and a lot tighter. How would you do the water on the right?

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    This has been a favorite of mine ever since I saw it on DA.
    I just ran across it here and had to say how much I like this.
    This inspired me to try the waves with Haerlech. Three thumbs up.
    Thank you very much!
    Last edited by justMANGO; 11-03-2015 at 01:49 PM.

You're welcome. Any new map work?
    I'd love to see any new stuff.

How would you do the water on the right? I think maybe the water should be below the cliff and landmass, looks like its a cloud over the land on the lower right. and might make the cliffs stand out more, then maybe add a layer over the cliff and just do a few crashing waves over the cliff, less than now.

Default Question about a couple details

I just found this map and I really like it. For one, it's style gives an impression of a very clean, safe, orderly city as compared to maps with a more "gritty" style, which is a nice change of pace from most maps I've found.

I have one question, not a criticism, but... why are there no churches, temples or other religious buildings in this city? Do the people who live here not have any religions, or just none that would include buildings? I'm also curious why there don't seem to be any statues or monuments, of like important historical figures or whatnot. If these things are just an oversight then please forgive me, I mean no criticism, your art is pretty fantastic as it is. I'm just curious about the world you're developing and how the capitol city of these people is affected by their culture. I think monuments and statues are easy to overlook in fantasy maps even though they exist in nearly every city on earth. People are proud of their achievements and their history, and they seek to commemorate great, influential people and events. But maybe in your world, for the people living in Azena, things are different for whatever reason. I'm just curious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast