Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: City of Azena, Capital of Al Senia

Map City of Azena, Capital of Al Senia

I'm still a newcomer to both the Guild and to cartography, and admittedly this is only my third attempt at map-making. The version attached is the revised version, the original may be seen here. arsheesh has graciously given me a critique, pointing out that the style of the forest and farmlands didn't match the rest of the map very well. I took the advice and reworked the map, which you now see below.

The aim was to smoothly combine grunge brushwork and texture with a cartoonistic palette and style. Created entirely in Photoshop CS4, this map in its full size is 11.5 x 8 inches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map-of-Azena-[final-reworked-66].jpg 
Views:	1975 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	56650

(I would love a rating, rep and/or comment! )
    Last edited by justMANGO; 08-05-2013 at 12:34 AM.

I think this revised style of your fields and forests is a much better fit for this map, and in general, much more polished. Love all the added details as well, such as the sheep and hedgerows. Well done, especially for a newcomer to the craft. Repped and rated.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you arsheesh. Glad that the revision made it better.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice job here, pleasant to look at! details like waves and ships are lovely.

I agree, it's a very pretty map. The only thing that seems a little off to me is that some of the buildings outside the city walls look rather large in comparison to those inside especially if they are just supposed to be farm houses.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Nice job here, pleasant to look at! details like waves and ships are lovely.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I agree, it's a very pretty map. The only thing that seems a little off to me is that some of the buildings outside the city walls look rather large in comparison to those inside especially if they are just supposed to be farm houses.
    The reason why that's the case was because I took inspiration for the farm houses from barns outside of the city where I live, which are quite big in size as there is lots of space in Canada, while the inner-city houses is largely inspired by small-town Europe, where things are relatively tightly packed and small. That aside, I think you definitely have a point and I'll watch for it next time. Thanks for pointing it out!

This is a very attractive map, but the white labels are virtually unreadable in places. It's nice to look at, but I'd hesitate to actually use it, since I prefer not to strain my eyes.

The labels are a little bit difficult to read because the map uploaded here is only 2/3-sized. At full size it's very readable.
    Here's a link to my deviantART, because I haven't got better things to write here (yet).

Nice map with a good overall look!

I love your render of the waves. How did you do the scum effects?

You could enter this in this month's Challenge, "Redo an older map"

Well done!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast