Thread: Dorťas's kingdom

Guild Applicant

Map Dorťas's kingdom

Hello all!

I would like to know your opinion about a map I created about two years ago for summer children's camp.

I started with an ortophoto of near surroundings of the camp (about 1km2), so the map could be tollerably used for orientation. I was trying to draw everything in Gimp, but luckily somewhere here, on the forum, I found a great tool to create forests - TreeThing. I was playing with it till forests at least a bit started truthfully describe the locality. Later I added some details, which I created in Google SketchUp (capital city, villages etc.)

The geographic names on the map may be hard to decipher, 'cos they are in the czech language, and some of them are even in that hard to understand. (It's also a reason of composition of this post. )

Thanks for critics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapa_v2.24_finito.jpeg 
Views:	181 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	56668

Your text make no sense to me but it doesn't matter. What I'm concerned about is the redability of the labels. Using the shadow effect is a good thing the make them stand but it's too much. Also, I think using red is not a good idea, espacially for the font.

Other than that, it's a pretty good map.

Guild Applicant

Im sorry for the twisted post.. still I doubt I can do better
    The map was printed on a size A1 paper, so there was no difficulty with reading the text. But you are right, next time I'll try more combinations.

Thanks Azelor