Thread: Fantasy world map, maybe more

Post Fantasy world map, maybe more

First of all, let me just say 'wow.' I've looked through several of the maps here and am in awe of some of the skill on display.

I'm looking for a world map for a fantasy campaign (Pathfinder alternate world) I'm planning on running in about a year (following the completion of the current campaign). The idea is to make it fairly open world, and basically the plot is entirely dependent on what the PCs want to do.

The world itself (tentatively titled Tandria) is flat (as opposed to vaguely spherical) with notable terrain elements. I'm looking for 2-4 continents, some with noted terrain features and some I have very little idea on other than a couple of vague concepts. The world itself has clearly defined (if erratic) edges and floats above a sort of mystical void (stars behind it are very appropriate). There are about a dozen key nations in my head, but the details aren't very fleshed out yet.

I'm looking at about a year before I need the map, which I want either to look like a medieval master mapmaker's hand-drawn masterwork (shades of browns on parchment-style paper, maybe with a little bit of aging) or like a painted overhead map, and one of each would be ideal. I'd like it to fit an A2 or A3 page at 100+ dpi.

As far as pay is concerned, I'm not sure how much I can offer. I can definitely supply $10-20 via paypal on completion (which I know is a pittance for what I'm asking) and can possibly find a way to offer more. Email me at m4dn3zz--at--gmail(dot)com to discuss further details. The artist will retain copyright over the map itself, minus most of the location names (many of which I'll be borrowing from other literature). I just want unlimited non-commercial use of the versions labeled with my locations and any unlabeled versions. The artist would be free to distribute any unlabeled or otherwise labeled versions both commercially and non-commercially as they see fit.

This might lead to some future requests for smaller (regional and/or city) maps, depending on my resources and your availability.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by RobA; 08-07-2013 at 10:56 AM.

As far as specific elements of the world, there are a few major things I have in mind.

A massive mountain range (the Spine of [name]) which looks reminiscent of a human spine, having been torn from one of the gods by another.
    A cursed section, containing the Spine mountains.
    The Worldscar, a massive, jagged wreck of land wherein the two above gods fought to the death.
    An area full of volcanoes and visible lava floes, which may possibly be part of the Worldscar.
    An Asian-themed world section (somewhere combining Feudal Japan and 3 Kingdoms China).
    An Aztec/Incan/Mayan-themed world section.
    A large, forking river (sort of a larger, Y-shaped Amazon), which may possibly be part of the Aztec/Incan/Mayan section above.
    A frozen continent or section of a continent lined by mountains.
    A small island between the other landmasses.

As for the visual style, I'm thinking something along the lines of this world that arsheesh created:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...-free-map.html

Guild Adept

As I see it, the style of the map you linked is very different from both "a medieval master mapmaker's hand-drawn masterwork" and "a painted overhead map, and one of each would be ideal".
    I, for one, could do the first style, but not any of the other two.

The first image in that thread looks to be, basically, digitally painted. I'm kind of thinking a rougher version of the same concept. The second, the sepia-toned "older style" makes me think of an older mapmaker's hand-drawn work (albeit a highly detailed version). They're the first examples that really came to mind.

Something like this (but on a slightly aged parchment) would be ideal for the "mapmaker's" version: http://www.pandius.com/knownworldfull1lh.jpg

As far as the painted, I'm thinking something like this: http://www.library.ethz.ch/exhibit/imhof/images/022.jpg

That make more sense?

Guild Adept

Still very different styles. However, if you are interested I can do something similar (maybe not really as good) to the first style you linked (Arsheesh).

I took the liberty to look through your albums, and I think you could handle both images pretty well. If you'd like more information, please send me an email and we can discuss it further.

Admin, please mark this request as Taken. feanaaro and I have come to mutually acceptable terms for this commission. Thank you.