Thread: Farmland and other various elements

Default Farmland and other various elements

I'm working on a map, and I'm having a hard time drawing farmland. So far I've done a crisscross-type pattern, and then filled it in with a faded yellow (wheat) colour. It looks... okay. I want to know how you guys do it, what's your technique?

As an aside, I also wonder about roads. The dotted line just doesn't suit the style of my map, so I've gone with a more "realistic" - for lack of a better word - road, where it's two parallel lines with shading. But again, the shading (a brown, dirt colour) and the road itself looks mediocre. What tips can you give about drawing roads?

The hatched pattern of farmland that your describing is something particularly associated with modern farming practices. It's a convenient pattern because it is easy to do and easy for viewers to recognise, but you might want something that looks more realistic/natural. If you want a medieval feel, long narrow strips are good, but can be a bit confusing (try googling 'burgage plots' for some diagrams). Alternatively, you could try something like this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farmland.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	897.7 KB 
ID:	56702. It's a tiled pattern I created to use as farmland. One of the biggest advantages about it is that you can easily flip it horizontally and/or vertically to gain two, three, four more patterns.

As for roads, I was also interested in a way to make roads look more interesting/realistic. You could try giving the edges a furrowed look, as though there are ditches or shrubs on either side. If it were me, I'd probably recommend the straightforward line. On a detailed map, it's lack of uniqueness won't show up too much, and it's easiest to do.

Hope those comments help.

EDIT: the image was meant to be turned 90'. It looks better when slightly horizontal.

for the road, you could add some rock/brick texture with the border bleding with the surroundings.

Thanks for the tips guys.