Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first map post

Default My first map post

Um... Hi, guys.

I've been lurking around the forums for a couple of years already (sweet heavens, has it really been that long?), and while I did create a "Hello" thread when I joined, I've never posted a map here, and one isn't a proper guild member until one does, am I right?

So here goes. While this is by no means my first map ever, it is actually one of the first ones I've actually even somewhat finished. It's (I think) the 12th version of my own fantasy setting that I've been working on few years now. With this one, I finally abandoned the idea of trying to actually fill out the entire world map all at once. I'm still learning the ropes, I'm so slow that actually filling a map this size with every river, forest, city and ruin has proven to be impossible for me (or at least if I wish to keep my sanity as well) - especially since I still have lot of areas that I don't really know yet. So the idea was to just make an very very overall look of the known the world, without almost any details whatsoever. Regional maps of smaller areas are to be next.

Sorry for the ramble. Anyhow, here is the map. Please don't eat me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SarrLesmura.jpg 
Views:	958 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	84463

First map you say! That is an awesome looking first map. THe style is also great for this type of a barren map I see nothing wrong with it. So congratulations and hope to see the parts of this world mapped as well later

Ps if you made the background parchment yourself please do tell how, it looks awesome
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    First map you say! That is an awesome looking first map. THe style is also great for this type of a barren map I see nothing wrong with it. So congratulations and hope to see the parts of this world mapped as well later

Ps if you made the background parchment yourself please do tell how, it looks awesome
    Thank you!

As for the parchment, it's just a combination of three paper textures. The ones I used here are all from Shutterstock, if I recall correctly. Just put on top of each other with different blending styles and opacity levels.

Where do all these new good artist keep coming from? Seems like a lot of newbies recently and all seem to produce really good first maps, you included Kelleri, nice job, lovely colors, nice job on the rhumb lines too. Welcome.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Lovely colours and textures Kelleri! Thanks for sharing that technique too, I may have been here nearly six months, but I'm still a newbie to many things and definitely second what Snodsy said about all the great new talent! Looking forwards to seeing more of your work!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ooooh, I like! That hits all my soft spots - colors, texture, border, land layout, rhumb lines - there is a warm mappy glow in my soul.

Keep up the good work and have some rep.

First map and your coloring skills are already pretty good ! Cannot wait to see the second one. Congrats !

Well I'll say, that's a great map! And for a first map too, even better! Great job.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I like a lot the colors and land shapes. I would prefer a bit more of contrast for the mountains. A fine map, well done!

Yep, can only echo what Diamond said. I really dig the style of the map and i love your land-shapes. Very evocative. I wish you'd fill in the blanks a bit more, especially rivers and forests. But as said, a very nice and flavorful map.
    Have some Rep. !
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast