Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Royden's Cove

Wip Royden's Cove

So, I'm experimenting with doing an illustration-style map (but not very quickly, I'm afraid!). I have no idea where this is really going, but the journey is starting out well.

Yeah, that worked... ::sigh::
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoydensCove02.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	4855  

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

Looks good, reminds me of a ZombieNirvana map but that might be unintentional... still looks great... can't wait to see what's next

Wip

Yes, indeed, Butch Curry got me started, but I'm already to the point where I've taken off into my own world. Heh. Good eye.

So here's the next portion, complete with sea, roads (that I'm not thrilled with. Yet.), building wannabes, and some FIELDS! How do they look? Is the style maintained? The object clear? (I mean, no one is going to be mistaking those fields for mountains or something, eh? LOL)

(Alas, Del, no scale. Sorry!)

I *swear* I am cursed by the Attachment Manager! My picture is in there ::pointing:: but it never ever ever posts with my first attempt to post it! AUGH!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoydensCove03.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	262.1 KB 
ID:	4874  

It's marvelous! The fields look quite right to me, and I like the font you've chosen--it matches the style quite well.

Are you planning on painting the roofs? The silhouette look is at odds with the rest of the map, but not so much as to make it look bad.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by StillCypher View Post
    I *swear* I am cursed by the Attachment Manager! My picture is in there ::pointing:: but it never ever ever posts with my first attempt to post it! AUGH!
    Try, when in advanced mode:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartographers' Guild - Reply to Topic_1215299902297.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	4875

after you attach and either close the window, or come back to the advanced reply, then click on the paperclip Icon at the top middle, the arrow drop down, and highlight the attachment you just uploaded... you should have a couple of ATTACH Tags Name:  Cartographers' Guild - Reply to Topic_1215300203003.png
Views: 365
Size:  756 Byteswrapped around a number...

see if that doesn't insert it in on a first try

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    It's marvelous! The fields look quite right to me, and I like the font you've chosen--it matches the style quite well.

Are you planning on painting the roofs? The silhouette look is at odds with the rest of the map, but not so much as to make it look bad.
    Thanks! I feel better already! The font is Brandywine. Really nice, old-fashioned calligraphy-ish style. And no, I don't want to leave the buildings as silhouettes, but I'm getting to those! I've fiddled around with the buildings, but it feels to me like I've lost the original style I was going for. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Okay, Delgondahntelius... here goes nothin'! ::closing eyes and crossing fingers, and if it works I'll love ya forever!::

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoydensCove05.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	4896

Your right.. the buildings now detract somewhat from the feel of the map... I don't know how big you originally had planned for this map ... mainly cause there ISN'T ANY SCALE

If you have your buildings on a separate layer, I would just go ahead and either get rid of them and start over, nestling them around the forest... and try for a different more complimentary style of house.

And, probabyl me being a nitpick... but the water needs to be reworked... I can see the brush pattern you used... maybe this is the effect you were going for but it looks as if it was just kinda ... slopped over... or.... you just ain't got that far yet and i'm jumping ahead of myself

Glad that inline attachment worked... maybe upgrade you browser ? did it post alright before? or have you always had to post twice to get a pic to show up?

Quote Originally Posted by StillCypher View Post
    The font is Brandywine. Really nice, old-fashioned calligraphy-ish style.
    One of my favorites, and of course there's always something groovy about using a font published by an RPG designer (in this case Ysgarth's own Dave Nalle, he who masters the Scriptorium) to decorate a fantasy-gaming map

I miss the silhouette buildings

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast