Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: August 2013 Entry - Port Kullen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default August 2013 Entry - Port Kullen

I don't have anything to show just yet but I'll post the source image I am working from. It's not a big town but there is a lot of stuff missing from the original that I shall add. There will also be some slight "retconning" so that it makes more sense. The climate is somewhat greenlandish. I may incorporate other elements into the map. I did consider making an isometric map, but I want to stay close to the original.

Port Kullen is a town map from 2004. It was part of an old RP campaign set in my main world where all my stories and things take place.

The settlement is a colony - but the atmosphere is more like the viking colonies of Vinland rather than later colonies such as Jamestown. It's a joint enterprise between some nobles and a merchant house trying to exploit the local mineral wealth. There are natives too but they aren't native american inspired. They are something else. There are also a few supernatural horrors too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newworld-kullenmap.gif 
Views:	129 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	56724  

I did some work briefly on this tonight. Nothing special - just deciding where the buildings will go. There will be a lot of hand drawn elements but they will be done in SAI.

14 is a big temporary warehouse with a canvas roof - almost like an enormous tent. It'll need to be entirely hand drawn instead of using the line tool.

There's a church (12) but it is made of wood. As I want to show that some time has passed so I am going to add a stone one currently under construction nearby.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	kullen_newwip1.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	255.7 KB 
ID:	56768  

Another update though I still have a lot to do. I am putting a little more effort into the details. Then I want to make the whole thing look dreary and windswept. Which might turn out terrible - who knows.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	kullen_newwip2.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	376.2 KB 
ID:	56844  

As always your houses are amazing, but I ended up liking the port platforms and ships more for some reason

Nothing to add really, just had to say it is turning out pretty good.

Your roofs are really cool and the farmland too. Well it's because I wanted to make some but was not sure how.

Amazing rooftops. I would not ever have the patience to sit down and draw them individually.
    Here's a link to my deviantART, because I haven't got better things to write here (yet).

Thanks everyone.

Azelor: I just use lines like that generally. It looks like crop/vegetable patch rows so it works for me. On closer up things I'll add a little shading to give it more depth but generally I find just a basic background colour with those lines works.

JustMango: I must admit stealing the style of the waves from yours and Arshees's recent maps. I think they look more effective than my usual cloudier looking wave patterns.

I'll admit to stealing the waves from Arsheesh as well, but hey, you know what they all say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Here's a link to my deviantART, because I haven't got better things to write here (yet).

Looks very nice and inspirational, I really like your houses, a lot of small details. And so far the competition in this months challenge doesn't look too hard
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Quote Originally Posted by Clercon View Post
    And so far the competition in this months challenge doesn't look too hard
    Looks can be very deceiving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast