Thread: Worldmap of Industa [V5]

Map Worldmap of Industa [V5]

This is a thread for presenting and criticising my work and progress in different styles with the world of Industa
    Just click on the images for a larger view!

Attachment 63135
    This is the rough topographic map of Industa
    Right now I try to figure out how to texture the landmasses in a goodlooking way.
    I also want the northern pole to look more like one. The southern pole is a steam ocean for it being a hot pole.
    I think I got a good result regarding to the southern pole.

This is what I managed to create with some own textures.
    By now only the southern part of the ground textures is done. What do you folks think?

And this is the political mode of my map merged with the cartoonlike terrainmap.
    How do you like it?

After adding some more textures I decided to improve the northern areas with a more greyish or mossy texture. I edited the mountains aswell.
    Some of them got the same mossy texture that the ground layer got. A few of them in the north got snowy peaks.
    I think this is another big step for finishing the map. Do you have some tips for the area between the north and the south? I dont want it to be a plain green.

I did not merge this map with the political map this time, because there'd be not much relevant difference by now.
    Last edited by Rwexler; 04-22-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Is there a reason why nobody wants to comment this map?
    I'd really like to see some criticism, either positive or negative.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Its rather nice actually, if I were you I would define the coastlines more and reduce the water texturing, use some satellite stock images to improve the land textures too, reduce the strength of the mountain shadows.

the poles are a bit out of balance, but the land shapes are nice!

It looks fine. I never build world maps, so I seldom ever look at someone else's world map. I prefer regional to smaller. I've never built a world map in my life, and probably never will - this is just to explain why I never looked at this or similar map posts. There might things to improve it, though I don't think using actual earth terrain as zhar2 suggests is necessary, but overall it looks satisfactory.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thank you for commenting this!

Its rather nice actually, if I were you I would define the coastlines more and reduce the water texturing, use some satellite stock images to improve the land textures too, reduce the strength of the mountain shadows.

the poles are a bit out of balance, but the land shapes are nice!
    Well the pole is quite balanced, but you can't know that! I am sorry for this. The World of Industa has a pretty different solar system than our earth. Industa itself acts like the core of the solar system. It gets its heat from southern direction by the hot planet "Sumarinh" and also has a cold planet called "Nomarinh" which relfects the heat from Sumarinh to mak the northern regions more habitable. Not completely logical, but I like it. Furthermore it has a small moon called "Abtrünniger" (ENG: The Renegade)
    The Renegade brings tides to the planet. As you might gues now, the "Southern Pole" is a steam/damp/cloud (whatever) sea which exists by the constant heat coming from Sumarinh. And the reason why the northern pole might seem chaotic is because the inclination of Industa. Another funny fact: The more you come south, the longer the day is. The northern pole is the Area that never gets any light.

Also: I tried to make the map looking satelite like but failed over and over again, I decided to go a cartoonized way. Therefore I am okay with the textures I made.

It looks fine. I never build world maps, so I seldom ever look at someone else's world map. I prefer regional to smaller. I've never built a world map in my life, and probably never will - this is just to explain why I never looked at this or similar map posts. There might things to improve it, though I don't think using actual earth terrain as zhar2 suggests is necessary, but overall it looks satisfactory.
    You don't need to explain to me why you barely visit worldmap threads! You are here and you told what you think about it, thats fine for me and I am grateful with that.
    If you manage to come here again, you might want to show me some of your stuff if existant! You may PM me if you want to!

I have well over a hundred maps and map objects scattered throughout this site - click on any of those gold compass badges under my name (past monthly challenge wins). I'm a professional fantasy cartographer with some game development and design work in some RPG publications, including my own. I am currently writing a series of map tutorials guides following a successful Kickstarter last year.

Maybe look at my G+ community, as it has all of my recent stuff, and many of my better past maps as well: 25 Quick & Dirty Map Tutorials G+ community.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Well thats quite good looking stuff you made! I really like the crown colonies.
    And perhaps you'll create worldmaps later. I can recommend it for I enjoy working on Industa for years now. If I have the time for that I'd like to show the different versions of industa inclusing the first sketches which where ment to be just an island area that I drawed in school just because i was bored!
    Last edited by Rwexler; 04-22-2014 at 07:03 AM.

I updated again. Take a look!