Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Personal Project World Map

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip Personal Project World Map

As the title says a personal project. Goal is a dark, somewhat post-apocalyptic theme. I'm open to ideas and critiques.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pp.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	56735  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, man, just wow. That is something special. I especially like that lava field thingy on the eastern continent.

The only thing I'm not convinced of is the extreme brightness of the icepacks contrasted with the darkness of the rest (which I like). I don't know how you could convincingly make the ice darker though... Maybe add some kind of red highlights, like it's reflecting the rest of the terrain somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Wow, man, just wow. That is something special. I especially like that lava field thingy on the eastern continent.

The only thing I'm not convinced of is the extreme brightness of the icepacks contrasted with the darkness of the rest (which I like). I don't know how you could convincingly make the ice darker though... Maybe add some kind of red highlights, like it's reflecting the rest of the terrain somehow?
    Thanks, Diamond! The 'lava field' is actually a dense fog of deadly micro fungi that covers the valleys and rifts of this area - I got this idea from an episode of Captain Future, where he is on a planet that has lethal spores in the air.
    I'll think about a way to change the ice.

Sapiento it's awesome to see you doing something new and I can't wait to see it progress For dark snow I would suggest just pushing the snow into a darker and more blue colour range. That would be my best guess. The spores is a cool idea too. Will this be a sci fi map?

The brown tones transport the post-apoc feel very well. I also like the landshapes.
    I am not convinced that the fog is transported well...like Diamond, i thought that this is a lava field. Maybe you need to mix this up a bit (no idea how though ).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Looks great sapiento. The rocks and Mountains look fine and you catch the atmosphere very good. Maybe you can cover the polar Region with dirt and dust too look darker. My only point woud be the Scale. The ladmasses look like they are a countrylike islands-formations and the Mountains and Details Seem to maintain hat, whether the map shows a whole planet. But i think it,s owed to the artificial appearence with less realistic claims but more beauty. So keep on, i'm looking forward for more

I dunno if it is just me but the colour scheme reminds me of the 2300ad map from Chrono Trigger, which was also post-apocalyptic. So it does have that vibe in my head. =P

I'd like to echo bringing down the brightness of the icy regions just a bit. The mountains and terrain features look great as always though.

Thank you, guys!

@ randigpanzrall: You're right, I've placed art and impression over realism.

I think I have an update ready in the next days.

I thought it was a lava field of sorts, too. If it's meant to be fog, try taking a low opacity fuzzy red brush to the whole area to make a less dense misty/cloudy/foggy appearance... leave some of the tallest rock peaks clear of it and lower ones with just a bit to obscure them. And make that fog a bit brighter (more reflective) than the stuff closer to the ground. It may not work out, but could be worth a shot anyway. Looks like liquid right now.

It's a beautiful map so far. Love the color scheme, and the details. What do you have in mind for it when it's finished?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Looking really nice, especially the light and shadow contour work on the mountains. Can't wait to see more.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast