Thread: Hökaland maps

Default Hökaland maps

Hey all!

This is my fist map post here on Cartographers' Guild, but I've been drawing maps and stuff sicne I was a wee boy. I don't have access to a scanner, so these are photographs (will use scanner when back at university).

These maps are part of a campaign setting for a DnD campaign called Hökaland, and I'm also playing with the idea of making a web-based game of strategy and intrigue as part of my media project in third year Web Design degree, which would also (at least in its original form) be placed in this world.

The world itself you could say is inspired by GoT, but it has really been part of ideas I have wanted to put on paper for a long time. It's a low-magic, pretty gritty world with lots of homebrew rules to make player life more "interesting". This is a reflection form the world itself.

The main areas are collectively called Midrealm, and that's where the detailed maps come in. The political scene is dominated by the grand city of Capitoleum, which has 10x as many citizen as the largest capitol of a single kingdom. The city is ruled by a coalition of noble houses from the currently most dominant kingdoms, and controlling cash flow of the humongous city helps keeping them in charge (though they are by no means safe).

There are lots of Anglian-sized kingdoms (like Sussex, Middlesex, East Anglia etc) that use diplomacy, treachery and open conflict to survive and/or grow.

If anyone would be interested, this is my campaign page on Obsidian Portal, though it's just starting to get populated:

Hökaland Wiki

As for the continental image here, ignore the lines to the left, they are from an earlier version. The detailed maps I'll post in a minute fits in to the slightly more detailed section of the continental picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hokaland_continent_scan.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	57966 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hokaland_scans.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	57967

Edit:
    I updated the picture with a scanned version of the same drawing, and I also added the compostite as I've started to draw more detailed maps that will be used for the DnD campaign as well as for the Hökaland web game.

You can probably see which of the maps is which in the compostite, but just in case there is an issue, they are named 1-10 and goes in sort of a circle from the central map (the one I made before the latest continent map even!).

My next steps involve making exact kingdoms, populations and scales.

I also posted the city map for Capitoleum on Cartographers' Guild back when I posted this originally.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/to...apitoleum.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01 Central.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	57968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02 North.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	57969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03 Northeast.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	57970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04 East.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	57971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05 South.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	57972  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 Southwest.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	57973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07 West of Southwest.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	57974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08 West of West.jpg 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	57975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09 West.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	57976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 Nortwest.jpg 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	57977  

Last edited by Leord; 03-08-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Hi, Leord! Looks good so far, though more than a little similar to Westeros But I really like the coastline, and how it seems to connect to something in the south. This should become really nice

This is a rather good start.

It's not clear, is it a kingdom or an empire? Since one city rule over other kingdom, I suspect it's the latter because it reminds me of the Holy roman empire.

Nice map btw !

This is just the continent map, which will comprise of at least hundreds of Kingdoms. I was going to post the other maps, but moderation took a lot longer than I anticipated, so I forgot about it. Now I'm in town on my phone so I can't add it now, but will shortly.

Thank you guys very much for the feedback. I know it has similarities with Westeros, but it's not intentional and the grander view is definitely different. I'm not very fond of the GoT map, to be honest with you, but a comparison to it is perhaps a compliment.

The other maps are more fantasy-esque in style, and a lot more detailed. The only maps I have with Kingdom borders are very messy.

I'm actually a lot more interested in opinions on the other maps so looking forward to 5+ posts and the freedom to use the forum as intended.

Just posted an update to the OP with the scanned maps and a compostite. I'd love to hear some feedback on mountain locations and geographic features as well as road or river shapes. I sincerely hope it doesn;t look too implausible, as it's hard to change while inked, lol!

Hey Leord,

I like this map and especially such complex and large projects. There´s a lot of work inside and I´m looking for more. One point I would suggest: The signs for water are too smooth an frequent, so maybe you can scatter them with more space between the wave-signs. I would look great when at the shore you accumulate this wave signs, then you have a perfect emphasis of your coasts, even in your recent black/white line drawing mode.

Keep on with this great project

randigpanzrall: Almost 2 years later... Thanks for the feedback. The water was never the most important bit of the map and just added to denote the difference between the land and sea. It's something I will make sure is better in an all-digital map.