Thread: Hökaland maps

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hökaland maps

Hey all!

This is my fist map post here on Cartographers' Guild, but I've been drawing maps and stuff sicne I was a wee boy. I don't have access to a scanner, so these are photographs (will use scanner when back at university).

These maps are part of a campaign setting for a DnD campaign called Hökaland, and I'm also playing with the idea of making a web-based game of strategy and intrigue as part of my media project in third year Web Design degree, which would also (at least in its original form) be placed in this world.

The world itself you could say is inspired by GoT, but it has really been part of ideas I have wanted to put on paper for a long time. It's a low-magic, pretty gritty world with lots of homebrew rules to make player life more "interesting". This is a reflection form the world itself.

The main areas are collectively called Midrealm, and that's where the detailed maps come in. The political scene is dominated by the grand city of Capitoleum, which has 10x as many citizen as the largest capitol of a single kingdom. The city is ruled by a coalition of noble houses from the currently most dominant kingdoms, and controlling cash flow of the humongous city helps keeping them in charge (though they are by no means safe).

There are lots of Anglian-sized kingdoms (like Sussex, Middlesex, East Anglia etc) that use diplomacy, treachery and open conflict to survive and/or grow.

If anyone would be interested, this is my campaign page on Obsidian Portal, though it's just starting to get populated:

Hökaland Wiki

As for the continental image here, ignore the lines to the left, they are from an earlier version. The detailed maps I'll post in a minute fits in to the slightly more detailed section of the continental picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hokaland_continent_scan.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	57966 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hokaland_scans.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	57967

Edit:
    I updated the picture with a scanned version of the same drawing, and I also added the compostite as I've started to draw more detailed maps that will be used for the DnD campaign as well as for the Hökaland web game.

You can probably see which of the maps is which in the compostite, but just in case there is an issue, they are named 1-10 and goes in sort of a circle from the central map (the one I made before the latest continent map even!).

My next steps involve making exact kingdoms, populations and scales.

I also posted the city map for Capitoleum on Cartographers' Guild back when I posted this originally.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/to...apitoleum.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01 Central.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	57968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02 North.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	57969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03 Northeast.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	57970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04 East.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	57971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05 South.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	57972  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06 Southwest.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	57973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07 West of Southwest.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	57974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08 West of West.jpg 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	57975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09 West.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	57976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 Nortwest.jpg 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	57977  

Last edited by Leord; 03-08-2015 at 01:21 PM.