Thread: Northern Verthallow

Default Northern Verthallow

This is my first photoshop based map. It is of the Northern part of a continent I have been crafting for a D&D campaign setting. Please post criticism and tips.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northern_verthallow copy.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	622.0 KB 
ID:	56752

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

If you use Photoshop you apparently haven't mastered its potential so far. The map elements like mountains and trees are very unclean, but the whole map has this look. I guess you used a mouse and no tablet - buy a tablet if you are serious to make hand drawn maps. Or use some free availabe map elements.
    There are also some icons I can't even recognize.
    I spotted at least one river violation.
    The colour scheme isn't really pleasing to the eye, too. Lilac? Violet?
    I assume you applied one of PS's artistic filters on the sea - not really an improvement as it clashes with the compass that's placed in the sea and makes it hardly visible.

The map leaves a lot to be desired.

I would advise you to read and try some of the very good tutorials that are available in this forum - it's time and energy consuming, but you can only get better. Try next time try to emulate a simple style you like, that's sometimes a good way to learn mapping styles and techniques.

You map color is uncommon but I don't know if your style is poor or if it just need to be improved. You should follow the tutorial and try to improve your style before putting it aside, because it might be good it the end.
    It depend what kind of map you want to create, what emotions who want to transmit.