Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: July Challenge: Hebbie's Ale House

Post July Challenge: Hebbie's Ale House

Okay, the FHCO's and I are going to try a challenge, but seeing as it is the holidays, and they have relatives visiting, I am just posting a placeholder.
    They may use it for a guide once they are back into Snapgallows.
    Since this is my first challenge, and I have never seen a vtt, this may not be usable,,,but for FHCO's purposes, since I just invested in the 4th edition and a bunch of accesories for them I thought I would mix the challenge with there first game.
    The place holder breaks down as the street Hebbie's is on, the ground floor, the 1st floor (or second, over here), some images of NPC/PC characters to represent tokens (not on seperate layer), and some filler.

I have some questions, does the image have to be square, I don't even know why I went with a rectangle, perhaps shell shock.
    Is there a max size for tokens?
    I know the scale is missing, as are the doors and windows on the ground floor, forgot to unhide them in sketchup, and two different scales between ground floor and 1 st floor as well, and different styles, but it is just to give them ideas and let them do the image manipulation as they decide.
    and I forgot the rest

SeerBlue

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big hebbiesFHCOJs.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	4865  
    Last edited by SeerBlue; 07-05-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Blog Entries

I'd say go with it the way you want it unless it says gotta be square in the challenge text.

"Never seen a vtt"... cor I dunno what are you like eh ?

Oops, I should amend the statement "I have never seen a vtt", I DO have and have used Redrobes excellent ViewingDale, I just don't have a computer to run it on currently, this laptop is the Igor of Technology, drags its feet at the first sign of work, and the graphics card is as old as his hump.
    In fact the software is sitting on the shelf in front of me screeching, "buy a new computer, it's boring up here!"
    So I should have said, I have no experience with vtt, and may ask stoopid questions.

"cor I dunno what are you like eh ?"
    Too many variables hidden within that question to answer in this lifetime..

SeerBlue

You might want to try launching MapTool from the Web start on your computer then. It may start just find for you.

Here's the link: http://rptools.net/dist/webstart.php/maptool-rc.jnlp

Just click that link and it should launch. Note that this is the "old version", but it is the released version. It should at least give you some experience with a VTT.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

awesome, I will give it a try, if I can get it going then the kids can load the app on their computer, its only a few months old, and makes me jealous. Sketchup really zips along for them, bogs for me. SeerBlue

Edit, works great, now I will have to read the docs.
    Last edited by SeerBlue; 07-05-2008 at 01:35 PM.

If you do end up getting a newer computer make sure to update to the newest version of Java and then download the newest development version of MapTool. There is a ton of new features in there and all kinds of D&D 4e support has been added, if that is your cup of tea, along with some really awesome token and macro updates that really pushes MT to a whole new level of VTT goodness.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I will have to remember all that, new computer is probably going to wait until after November, I'll be moving back to NH then, and since all my stuff won't fit in my panniers for my cannondale, a half country tour by bicycle is out of the question.
    I think the kids are going to love this, thanks for the links.
    SeerBlue

I think I am going to go with a less rectangular map, as a secondary use for this is I am going to get it printed, laminated, and mounted on art board for the FHCO's to use, and kids always want every thing equal, so square it is.
    Their player character pictures are actually going be pockets that hold little reference cards for their players short history, simplified stats, and the like.
    Tokens for their characters and tokens for their special ability ranges will need to find a home, as will the disc with all the files to re-do the playboard as needed. Can you picture a flying squirrel/armadillo mix that has 2 spines which injects a liquid brain washer.

Good thing I read a few other mappers posts, I definitely don't know my east from my west.
    SeerBlue

Sooo, while waiting for the FHCO's I drew out a new floor plan for Hebbies Ale house that conforms to the challenge, and sorted out east and weast (spongebob and patrick, anyone). I also found loads of new ruby scripts for sketchup, new to me, which will assist them , like line to multiwall, draw a line, click, click, there is your wall.
    So all they have to do is follow the floor plan somewhat and they should be good to go.

As that is as much as I plan on helping them with, though I may have to build the spiral staircase for them, I started making some example tokens for them..very simple, FHCO Snappie style, which depict "their" characters, who may or may not be in the Ale House the night of the Ambush.
    I have also condensed a bit of the characters histories/traits into a document in case they are in the Ale House, and offer info or assistance.

This is Lemur's token, and there is a bit about Lemur near the end of the Snapgallows thread in the CWBP, it's a pan flute and drum she plays about Snapgallows, collecting coppers during the day,,,,she is only three or four after all. here is a very small bit of Lemur info, post 37
    Its not scaled or anything, will need to see how big of a map they make before doing that.
    SeerBlue
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SeerBlue; 07-06-2008 at 08:46 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast