Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The World of 1883 - Steamclock World Map [WIP]

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Default The World of 1883 - Steamclock World Map [WIP]

Well met!

For a while now I've been working on a roleplaying game called Steamclock ("Reloj de Vapor", really, since I have yet to translate it to English), set in an alternate 1883 where, among other things, time travel works.

Since the manual is reaching a more or less compete state soon, I decided it was time to start working on a world map. I had hand-drawn a lot of doodles and referential maps in my notes, but never took the time to bundle it all up in a single map.

So here's my first attempt at a ahistorical map of the world. I'm still experimenting with styles, but the general landmass is mostly finished. Political divisions is the next task at hand!

Any and all comments and criticisms are more than welcomed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RdV Mapa Mundial v0.1.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	4.07 MB 
ID:	56769

Guild Member Facebook Connected Gumboot's Avatar

What's going on in the Southern Hemisphere?

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

That's an interesting way to incorporate Mu and Lemuria, I've never seen them attached to Antarctica before. Great job so far! Looking forward to seeing where you go with this. Will Atlantis make an appearance perhaps?

Did you use under-water shelves? Continent of Zealandia would have fit right in. Otherwise, I love the work on the coastline, even the fjords in Mu.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboot View Post
    What's going on in the Southern Hemisphere?
    Turns out that Le Plongeon/Churchward and Saint-Hilaire (first respective proponents of Mu and Lemuria) were correct in this particular world (though part of the existence of those continents is due to non-natural events related to the setting's overarching theme of time travel), and I thought it would be nice if they were actually part of an antartican supercontinent.

The final version is supposed to have only parts of this southern continent revealed (as not much of it has been explored), so as to give the notion that contemporaries still think the three territories to be different continents. In game terms, it also serves as pristine territory for adventures into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Will Atlantis make an appearance perhaps?
    Yes and no. Strictly speaking, Homer's Atlantis doesn't exist in the setting. But instead, some highly excentric explorer tried to go back in time, move an entire greek city with actual ancient greeks to the location, and ended up with a rather problematic accident in his hand - and a half-sunken greek city in the middle of the Atlantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Did you use under-water shelves? Continent of Zealandia would have fit right in.
    My plan for some underwater features is to add some kind of faded sillouettes. Still trying to determine how, but it goes in that direction.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Gumboot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus van der Kroft View Post
    Turns out that Le Plongeon/Churchward and Saint-Hilaire (first respective proponents of Mu and Lemuria) were correct in this particular world (though part of the existence of those continents is due to non-natural events related to the setting's overarching theme of time travel), and I thought it would be nice if they were actually part of an antartican supercontinent.
    You know, I was familiar with the hypothetical Terra Australis of earlier centuries, but I'd never heard of these sunken continents proposed during the 19th Century (though of course, being a Kiwi, I am familiar with the real sunken continent of Zealandia). So it's a sort of parallel world where these continents existed, and didn't sink? Very cool! Does that mean explorers like Tasman and Cook never existed in your parallel universe? I will watch the progress of this map with avid fascination!
    Last edited by Gumboot; 08-11-2013 at 10:47 PM.

It's hard not to like this

Hey guys!

After a few months away from this project I managed to assign a bit of time to make some progress.

Started doing trials with different styles for the geopolitical layer; also added some exploration routes (for now, only Cook's, which were a bit different due to the fact Terra Australis is present in this map) to see how they look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RdV - El Mundo de 1883 v0.2_thumb.jpg 
Views:	1019 
Size:	402.4 KB 
ID:	59551

For the full-size version, click here (11mb): Link

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks nice Klaus A few comments though : the borders looks a bit pixellated and the diagonal labels should rather be better if curved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast