Thread: July Entry: Pitt's Pit

Wip July Entry: Pitt's Pit

Rogan Pitt was "Golden Knuckles" fighting champion in the city for ten years. With prize monies and side-betting, Rogan retired a wealthy man. Rather than sit on his laurels, Rogan invested it into his own fight club - Pitt's Pit.

Near the center of the main bar room is a 6 foot deep pit used for bare-handed fights and gladiatorial combat. Despite the number of large tables for patrons, when its "fight night" there's standing room only. In fact the gallery overhead gets filled to capacity.

The salon is used for side-betting by those with the gold to spend, though smaller betting occurs in the house between patrons.

Regarding genre: fantasy tavern or historic tavern from middle ages to Victorian era.

(Map stats: approx. 36" x 36", 1" = 5' at 100 pixels, 4.52 MB JPG - looks like I'm going to have to place the gallery level and 2nd floor in a separate map, due to file size... this is the largest file I've ever uploaded here!)

WIP so far...

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pitts-pit.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	4.52 MB 
ID:	4867  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-05-2008 at 03:29 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

GP, I love the cobble textures, and also the hay in the fight pit. Not sure about the flowers in the garden though, they look a bit too cartoony for the rest of the style and maybe overlarge as well.

Cheers

Ravs

Post The garden isn't my idea!

Truth tell, I'd never create a tavern map with a garden attached to it. It doesn't make much sense to me, but that's the challenge requirements.

And yes those flowers are overlarge, its just I didn't have access to lots of flower textures, so without using the same 6 flowers over and over, I made them bigger with just a couple samples of each.

I'll upload my gallery level and second floor later today or tomorrow, I might fix the garden at that time as well.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    its just I didn't have access to lots of flower textures
    Well then, you need to look right here...
    http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=20352

Truth tell, I'd never create a tavern map with a garden attached to it. It doesn't make much sense to me, but that's the challenge requirements.
    Don't they have beer gardens in the US? Over here many pubs have an outdoor area for patrons to drink in - particularly as now smoking indoors in public places has been banned by law.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Don't they have beer gardens in the US? Over here many pubs have an outdoor area for patrons to drink in - particularly as now smoking indoors in public places has been banned by law.
    It really depends quite a bit on the location and clientèle. For example, "Da Ragin Ork" is located in a mud pit in the middle of nowhere and the half-orc owner doesn't really care about flowers and such. As long as the patrons have gold to spend and don't cause to much trouble, both the inside and outside are pretty much left to nature to take care of.

Now, "Sharielle's House of Pleasure" which is located in a large city and tends to cater to a more urbane patronage, that's a totally different story, but I will leave that for another time.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Hmmm?

I don't drink (allergic to alcohol) and haven't been in a bar in over 15 years, but "Beer Gardens" never even occurred to me. When I think of beer gardens, its just means outside patio to me, having nothing to do with plants or flowers. So that's what I'll do.

And Redrobes, I'm not into flowers, so the flowers I got are clipart from a general collection - I'm sure I could easily find flower photos online, just no intention of doing so. In all my years of graphic design, I've only had to deal with flowers once, so I'm not compelled to look. Thanks anyway.

Luckily in Illinois (outside of Chicago), it still isn't illegal to smoke in a bar or restaurant. I went to California about ten years ago, and almost lit up a cigarette in the bar - I was shocked to discover you couldn't do it (liberals...)

So now I'll just drop the plants/flowers from my map and call it a Beer Gardens patio (hurray, I didn't want flowers in my map anyway!)

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Luckily the only beer I can't drink is St. Pauli's Girl, gives me a nasty rash!

We bypassed the flowers in the garden at Hebbie's Ale House as well, as a one word description of Snapgallows is "Grim", and decided to serve the food in the summer out there. Any one for half a roasted Cask Belly Hammer, (read as pot bellied pig).
    SeerBlue