Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Angel trilogy map

Map Midcyru-Night Angel Map W/ new map

I've been reading Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy.http://www.brentweeks.com/ It's one of the best stories I've come across. The characters are so deep, and in ways you would not expect. I had just started the second book when I decided to contact Brent.

Being an artist, I've always been fascinated by the maps that accompany so many fantasy books. Sometimes I'll buy a used book just because I like the map. The thought came to me to redo the map of Midcyru, but I didn't want to offend the author Brent. I asked permission to use the maps for my portfolio and post them on my favorite forum, Cartographer's Guild. He responded quickly, and said he'd love to see what I come up with.

Some of the difficulties in redoing a map is the limitations. All of the facts are laid down already, which means I don't get to create as much. But this could also be seen as easier.

The first map is the original. The second and third are the alternative maps done by me. I tried to stay as close to the original as possible.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6758369447_fb52246bb7_b.jpg 
Views:	1557 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	41542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6758369421_d0fc1c432f_b.jpg 
Views:	1750 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	41543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6758369369_f202bf7dea_b.jpg 
Views:	4863 
Size:	333.4 KB 
ID:	41544
    Last edited by dangerdog15; 01-28-2012 at 11:04 AM.

I'm also a big fan of the night angels books (and once considered make a decent map for it as well But yours is already looking pretty awesome! Also cool that the writer agreed with posting it here! cheers, DJ

This will probably sound bad, but in staying so close to the original what was the point in making the map. I read the books, and I think there were moments when I thought the map was wrong. Based on the descriptions and story I think there were things that seemed off. Granted you don't want to mess up the places too much, but the coastline and treelines are really arbitrary. The original artist made something up, and frankly his handling of mountains is a bit all over the place. I think if you are going to do such a good job copying it, why not make it your own, your style is cleaner and I think you could add to the overall work by adding your voice to it. Sorry if that sounds mean, I just think you've done no justice to yourself in copying an existing works so closely.

Devin-I know it's easier to be rude over the net, when you aren't face to face, so I forgive you for your blunt words. However, I do know where you're coming from. I was worried about offending the writer by differing too much from his original art, as I am trying to drum-up business for myself. Really my point was to show my skill as a graphic designer by paying closer attention to layout and type. Also the balance of positive and negative space. And I'm relatively new to mapping. As for the placement things on the map, I am only 1/3 of the way through the second book so I wouldn't know about that.

On the other hand. Djeckspek thank you so much for the encouraging words! The books are so much fun to read.

I've seen your other work and you have the ability to make really nice maps. I think Brent would appreciate seeing his map from your style instead of a copy of the existing map.

You're probably right Devin. Thanks for the compliment. I'll start a new one and post it as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdog15 View Post
    You're probably right Devin. Thanks for the compliment. I'll start a new one and post it as soon as I can.
    I like the ones you've made here, but I'm looking forward to see the new one.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Thanks Clercon. I'm almost done with the new one.

Map

Here's the new Midcyru map for the Night Angel Trilogy. Devin "encouraged me" to do a more stylized, accurate version. The first map is with no special F/X. The second and third I had some fun with.

Name:	6773963103_4676503d95_b.jpg 
Views:	3371 
Size:	665.7 KB 
ID:	41622

Name:	6773962821_302ae66c3d_b.jpg 
Views:	1495 
Size:	607.4 KB 
ID:	41623

Name:	6773962561_249281ba4e_b.jpg 
Views:	1824 
Size:	639.2 KB 
ID:	41624

You can download the full sized versions here:
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6...503d95_b_d.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6...e66c3d_b_d.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7027/6...81ba4e_b_d.jpg

Dude, that is sooooo much cooler. I like the new ones a lot. Gonna smack some rep on you. Nice job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast