Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle Jacktannery

Default Castle Jacktannery

This is a series of encounter maps I created for myself as a personal challenge. It had intended to do a full set of interior maps to go with it, but I found myself very busy so this is mostly external. I started this in October 2012 and now, almost a year later, I'm calling it done. There are quite a lot of errors (in particular with the shadows) but I'll never fix them all. The WIP thread is here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/bu...ig-castle.html and has some of the objects as transparent-backed pngs.

My intention was to create a series of fun encounter areas in a fantasy castle with a terrain backdrop I could swap out (forest/ice/tundra/mountain etc.) as required. I wanted encounters to include a dramatic bridge to the castle; courtyards in front of a keep with towers and battlements; secret entrances and terrifying walkways suspended by dangerous ropes; a wizard's tower; a dungeon; a chapel with buttresses overhanging a cliff; and a sally port with a cliff-side staircase/back entrance. I never did the dungeon but I managed to depict the rest, I think.

I decided to use shadows to depict the fantasy-castle I had envisaged. This can be seen on the chapel map and in the front courtyard - the main keep's shadows are based on the fantastic Disneyland Sleeping Beauty castle.

My favourite map is the one of the inside of the chapel - I based it on a real cathedral in Italy and I think it looks like a lovely jewel-box.

I made almost everything myself on GIMP except the well (no ref!) and fountain (no ref!). The round tower roofs are a modified version of a roof by Kegron in 2004 (no link!) and (no ref!), and the house roofs are by Aegean 2007 (Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums: House, roof, tavern - variations). For the stable interior I used hay by Bludragn 2005 (Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums: Hay or straw anyone), bales by cdenham 2006 (Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums: Bales or bundles) and a wooden column by Greytale 2006 (Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums: Art request). For the interior of the small office I used some generic furniture from the Dundjinni forums (no ref!). [reminder - go back and find links and refs]

All the map sections (apart from the reduced overview map) are uploaded here at a scale of 100 pixels = 1 inch = 1 grid square, ie 100ppi or 100dpi and were created using the Gimp. All maps are for non-commercial use only. If someone wants to add a grid to any of these maps follow these instructions:

1) download the GIMP for windows or mac at GIMP - Downloads
    2) use it to open the required map below.
    2.5) [optional - advanced] make a new transparent layer OVER the current layer and select it.
    3) FILTERS > RENDER > PATTERN > GRID to open the grid dialogue box.
    4) Change SPACING to 100 pixels X and 100 pixels Y. Change OFFSET to 0 x and 0 y; choose a good colour - eg. black. Press OK.
    4.5) [optional - advanced] if the grid is on its own layer as per step 2.5, you can lower the opacity or delete part of it.
    5) Export your image to a JPG or PDF and print it out with a grid!

Overview (not to scale)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overall.jpg 
Views:	1230 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	56793
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 08-11-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Bridge

Name:	BridgeV2.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	56798

Main Gate

Name:	Entrance.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	56794

Main Entrance Courtyard

Name:	Courtyard A10.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	56795

Stable Yard - External View & Internal View

Name:	CourtyardB(externa).jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	56796 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CourtyardB(internal).jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	56797

Wizard's Tower

Name:	BigtowerRoof.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	56805
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 08-11-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Chapel - exterior and interior maps

Name:	NewChapel Courtyard.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	56801 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewChapel Courtyard2.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	56802

Main Keep

Name:	Keep roof.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	56803

Sally Port and cliffside staircase behind main keep

Name:	Behind Keep map.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	56804

Walkways from extramural tower - exterior and interior maps

Name:	Walkways.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	56806 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WalkwaysInt.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	56807
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 08-11-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Great work ! I like your maps

Just one question : it s twice the exterior map for the walkways as i see. I've read you didn't have the time for all interior, but you put 2 links, so perhaps an error when uploaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post

Walkways from extramural tower - exterior and interior maps

Name:	Walkways.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	56806 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WalkwaysInt.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	56807

Thank you for your response Jeudi. Actually there is a different - take another look. If you zoom right in the central tower you will see I depicted it with the roof off, showing where the rope-bridge-walkways connect to a platform, then a ladder down to the floor and stairs up to the battlements.

Name:  www.MessenTools.com-Blacky-shame.png
Views: 2433
Size:  1.8 KB
    So sorry, yes i see it now, i was expecting the inside of the external tower so i didn't look really on the rest of the map !

No problem - I was going to do the tower inside but just never got around it and way too busy now until at least february, which is why I decided to cut my losses and just post what I had.

Guild Novice

Such amazing work. I have been a fan of your D&D module conversions. Thanks for doing such spectacular maps!

AWESOME MAP !!!........... Did anyone ever add a grid to this map? and can I have a copy? .......Please?

Thanks drgnpnts and Cyderak. It's easy to add the grids yourself. I'm happy to do it on one or two of the maps if you tell me which ones you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast