Thread: Arlith

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

Map Arlith

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2s78llv.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	68862

This is the map I made while following Ascensions tutorial on Ancient Map Techniques.
    His tutorial can be found here: Tutorial
    I had a blast creating this map, and would love some feedback from the community.
    I have not named any rivers because I found it cluttered the map too much. Suggestions on how to avoid the "cluttered" feel would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
    Capt. JH

Nice, Ill have to check out the tutorial. I like the style. I think your map would benefit from using only one typeface and dont distort it. Choose one with a wide range of styles, and I think you can even name the rivers. As it is now the diffrent text styles is the only thing that makes it "cluttered".

Choosing the right typeface is as important as choosing colours, style, border and what have you.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

Thank you for your thoughts. I did realize the more I worked on this map, the more font types I was adding. I struggled labeling the mountains. I agree with you, the "Rule" I was taught in art school was to rarely exceed two different font types on the same design. So I may have to rework the font a bit to get a polished piece.